Eating a PenWhen I was about eight, I ate a pen. Well, I didn’t full on eat it; so let me start from the beginning.
I was sitting in my mom’s study doing my little second grade homework, which was quite the challenge! I was way beyond stressed and I started to chew on my pen. Classic. Apparently, I didn’t learn from this experience because I still chew on my pens to this day. Anyway, I chewed, and gnawed, and ripped apart my pen like an angry, carnivorous dinosaur having a bloody meal of human. Except the fact that I’m not a dinosaur, I didn’t actually eat my pen, and I only made that comparison because we were studying dinosaurs in second grade. Maybe I was chewing on my pen because I decided to try out the dinosaur state of mind, and taste something that isn’t normally food: my pen.
So I was sitting there doing my homework, chewing on my pen, hopelessly lost in my little game of “eat the pen like you’re a dinosaur” and suddenly, the little thing you use to push the point out of the pen snapped off. With it, came a whole chunk of my pen and most of the ink decided to land right on my tongue. I didn’t realize at first how much ink was on me, but I did feel something wet on my chin. Figuring it was just spit; I wiped it off with my clean, white school shirt. As I looked down at my collar/ napkin, I saw a huge, dark blue splotch on my shirt! Then I realized that I had something that tasted gross in my mouth. I asked my mom if there was anything on my tongue and she said, “Yeah, did you have blue candy?” I responded with a confused “No… Oh no that’s my pen!” and I held up the evidence.
My mom and I rushed to the bathroom around the corner to rinse out my mouth. She called 911 in such a panic, because she thought it was poisonous.
“911? Is pen ink poisonous? My daughter got some in her mouth and we need to know if she should go to the ER,” said my mom frantically.
“I’m not sure, but I can connect you to poison control,” replied the calm operator. My mom thanked her and waited for poison control to tell us what to do. While we waited, my mom asked me if I swallowed any.
“Probably! I didn’t know I had it in my mouth.”
When my mom got off the phone with poison control, she told me that I’d be fine, but I had to drink a lot of milk to counteract the acid in the ink. We went up to the kitchen and got out the milk and I drank glass, after glass, after glass. Finally, we were out of milk. I was fine, but I was glad my mom was there for me when I needed her.
If that had happened recently, I don’t think I would have done anything and not even bothered to tell my mom. Thank goodness I was with her when it happened because she helped make a call I wouldn’t have made on my own. I’m glad I had her then to look out for my health. Now I know she will always be there for me when I need to help with something, no matter how big or how small. That experience taught me two things, one: don’t chew your pens, and two: family is always there for you when you need them. They always have your best interest in mind, and act as a block of support for you to lean on when you’re too weak to fend for yourself. In my case, family has helped me with many things including talking to teachers for me, helping me when I hurt a muscle in my knee, and I was too little to call poison control myself, so, as my family member, my mom called them for me because she had my best interest in mind.