New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

0-13 Years

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Skiing Mr. Dolomite

“Mr. Dolomite, I’m gonna ski you someday!” said my little four year old voice behind the picture of me in my pink coat and cheetah-print-fur-lined hat. That picture is hanging in a special frame in my Mom Mom’s living room. That picture and segment of childhood is among a collage of many others in a brass frame. The frame it’s nestled in has a feature that allows you to record sound and by the press of a button, let the picture speak. And that’s exactly what we did with my picture in Italy: post-Dolomite.
My family and I were on vacation in Italy one year for skiing. It was my first year learning to ski, and what better way than to do it in Italy. All the fresh powder, the Italian spaghetti, the quaint towns, and the Dolomite Mountains were around me when I learned how to ski for the very first time. I did all the little kiddy trails that week and exhausted my love for ski school. I probably liked it at first, but by the end of the week I did not want to go. I wanted to ski with mommy and daddy, not the Italian instructor. I cried and cried on the last day, and mommy finally gave in. I went with her and my dad on the easy runs (on a leash mind you) and went down into the beautiful town after the day concluded. Being a Daddy’s girl, I walked alongside my dad as he tried to squeeze information out of me about ski school.
“Did you like skiing?” “Yes Daddy!” “Nique, do you see those big mountains up there?” he said pointing to the Dolomite Mountains behind us. “Yeah.” “Those are the Doh-loh-meetee Mountains. Someday, you’re gonna be big enough to go up there and ski!” he said as he pointed to the rocks, cliffs, and other places skiers aren’t allowed. “Yeah! I’m gonna ski Mr. Dolomite!” I said looking up at the intimidating mountains I had just skied on that day (even though I didn’t know it). That moment encouraged a picture with the beautiful scenery in the background. That is the picture hanging in my Mom Mom’s frame. We also took a video that day of me telling Mr. Dolomite that I would ski him someday. That proud little four-year-old voice is secluded behind the frame just waiting to be set free by the push of a button. Another thing that can easily be set free is courage, it may take time to build it up, but as long as you have others to help you, it is easy to bring it out.
My dad told me I could ski those huge mountains some day and that instilled a lot of courage and hope in my mind. My dad and the rest of my family act as building blocks for me in the sense that they tell me I can do whatever I want if I work for it. They tell me that there’s always hope and you should always aspire to accomplish. That’s exactly what I did in Italy that year, I aspired to ski a big mountain and be independent from ski school. Now, I ski every year on big mountains all around the world independently. I was told to aspire to accomplish and that’s exactly what I did.
I will always hold that phrase in my mind throughout my life and know that what I hope for is going to put me on the track for good or bad. I can thank my family for being the ones to teach me that and also the fact that you need hope for everything you do.