Unpredictable Me

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

Baked Dreams

I always dreamt of owning a bakery when I grew up. So one summer, my cousin, Bryce, and I decided to take cake decorating classes. Before the classes began, Bryce and I looked up decorated cakes and cupcakes on the Internet, all of which we imagined we would have the ability to create.
The first Saturday in July, we came into class filled with optimism and excitement. There were only about 10-12 people and the teacher had a bubbly voice, which were perks. During this first class, she talked for about an hour and 50 minutes out of the 2 hour long class, which made me daydream, kind of like when my history teachers talk about any war other than a World War. The only thing that really caught my attention was her deformed cake, which of course she had a long story to explain that too!
We had to buy a lot more supplies in preparation for the second class. Basically, we had to make a round cake from a box mix (I guess that is why it was called decorating class, not baking class) and our own icing. So, Bryce and I decided it was best to make these things together. We should have known there would be a problem; there is always a problem when we are in the kitchen together. This time, the problem was we forgot an important ingredient in my icing and her cake needed some TLC to get out of the pan.
When it came time for class that next Saturday, we were sure we would make this amazing cake, which might make Buddy from Cake Boss have a run for his money. Obviously, that didn’t happen. Come to find out, neither of us had enough icing, and our cakes were only 75% done (and in my opinion, the 25% of the cake that wasn’t iced looked better than the rest). Bryce believed her cake was so bad that she wrote a note to her family on the cake container saying, “Don’t look, don’t touch, and don’t eat!”
Next time, we swore not to make the same mistakes. Each of us made two recipes of icing and baked two batches of cupcakes. We went to class and actually decorated good looking cupcakes. Of course, when we made it back to Bryce’s house, I had to try our masterpieces. They looked so good, but tasted so bad! I said to Bryce, “I have never thrown away a cupcake, until now.” Later, I found out why they tasted like that; you are supposed to use real butter and we used” I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter”!
At the last class, we could decorate any cake we wanted to. I had a vision to create a cake called “Garden from God,” covered with leaves and vines with the sky as a background. I don’t know how that came to me, but it sounded easy. So, I went for it! It actually looked great, in my opinion. Finally, I made something worthy enough to give to someone else, and I gave mine to my aunt. She called my mom a day later and told her that it looked and tasted great, but that next time, I needed to crack the eggs in a different bowl, because she found a couple of egg shells.
This ended my dream of becoming a baker as my profession. It was fun while it lasted, and I learned all what not to do while baking! I guess I will just have to stick to writing.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6