EPGY Summer Institutes at Stanford University

EPGY Summer Institutes is an academic program run by one of the top ivy league schools, Stanford University. There is a middle school program for 7th and 8th graders and a high school program for 9th and up. Both are residential. I highly recommend this academic program. There are several courses you can choose from whether it's writing, computer programming, mathematics, or even law! For middle schoolers, the camp is 2 weeks long, meanwhile, the high school program is 3 weeks.

Students that attend EPGY Summer Institutes get their full fill of education. You take your classes in the morning after breakfast and have teachers teach you all you have to know. I have gone to this program for two years in a row and I thoroughly enjoyed it each time. The two classes I took were Creative Writing and Expository Writing. In Creative Writing, you take time to write poems and short stories. You read your peer's work and give constructive criticism. You also get to read and analyze short stories written by authors such as Ray Bradbury. When taking Expository Writing, you can practice writing memiors, persuasive essays, reviews, and more! Besides just classes, you may have homework that is done during study hall depending on the course you take.

"All work and no play???" You might ask. Not only are the EPGY Summer Institute camps academic, they're also fun! Students can sign up for sports teams and play basketball. You choose what activities you want to do the next day. Activities include yoga, swimming, jewelry making, flag football, shopping, etc. There are also planned activities. For example, certain sessions take a field trip to the beach. All the sessions host a dance and a talent show. Your dorm room most likely consists of 2 roommates. The counselors are also helpful and friendly.

EPGY Summer Institutes are for gifted teens. Therefore, you do have to fill an application early. You also need to show your standardized test scores and report cards unless you are an international student. There are fees when you apply, and I'll admit that this summer camp does take up a few thousand dollars. For people with financial issues, EPGY is willing to give scholarships. If you do decide to go, you will meet many people who share similar interests from all over the world! Now, I have friends from England, Thailand, Hong Kong, Canada, and even Japan! The EPGY Summer Institutes is a must-go. If you don't, you're missing out on loads of fun.

Linda said...
May 18, 2010 at 6:26 pm:
I got accepted into this program for summer 2010!! im soo excited. i cant wait. i know that this program is excellent and can provide me with insight to other talented students besides just myself and students in my school and I will realize how hard i must push myself to be on top. Once again, I CANT WAIT! : )

Linda replied...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:00 pm :
cool! then ill see you. :)

Othersideoftheworld replied...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:26 am :
Great! Mind asking where you are from?

Linda replied...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm :
Im from Maryland, United States. Where are you from?

Othersideoftheworld replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:14 am :
Taipei, Taiwan. Hence othersideoftheworld... Looking foward to seeing you there this summer :)

Linda replied...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm :
I got my housing assignment! Even more excited now!

globalgirl said...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 7:19 pm:
An excellent, excellent program! Fellow students who had attended other equivalent programs said EPGY was hands down better! Regardless, the experience was life changing. Strongly recommended!

ojmcdaniel@msn.com said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 9:46 am:
While this may be a fabulous program...Stanford is NOT an Ivy League school. All Ivy League schools are on the East Coast. Don't just be dazzled by a big name...let's look at the content of the program and compare it to other, possibly better, programs such as CTY at Johns Hopkins.

teddy replied...
Jul. 5, 2010 at 9:30 am :
The EPGY program preceeds the CTY program, however, CTY is based on much of the learning derived from the academic research performed at Stanford Un. by the professors whose work was responsible for EPGY. Generally EPGY is considered a slightly more competitive program than CTY while both are competitive. You will find 9th graders with 800 SAT scores at both programs and possibly even students with 600 Math or Reading scores as well. Both programs are similiar. There are some differences in the ... (more »)

JP :D replied...
Jan. 30, 2011 at 1:39 am :
ooo...yay metoo!!!! but i signed up for math-science and computer programming--dunno if they will accept me or not!!!!