EPGY Summer Institutes at Stanford University

EPGY Summer Institutes is an academic program run by one of the top ivy league schools, Stanford University. There is a middle school program for 7th and 8th graders and a high school program for 9th and up. Both are residential. I highly recommend this academic program. There are several courses you can choose from whether it's writing, computer programming, mathematics, or even law! For middle schoolers, the camp is 2 weeks long, meanwhile, the high school program is 3 weeks.

Students that attend EPGY Summer Institutes get their full fill of education. You take your classes in the morning after breakfast and have teachers teach you all you have to know. I have gone to this program for two years in a row and I thoroughly enjoyed it each time. The two classes I took were Creative Writing and Expository Writing. In Creative Writing, you take time to write poems and short stories. You read your peer's work and give constructive criticism. You also get to read and analyze short stories written by authors such as Ray Bradbury. When taking Expository Writing, you can practice writing memiors, persuasive essays, reviews, and more! Besides just classes, you may have homework that is done during study hall depending on the course you take.

"All work and no play???" You might ask. Not only are the EPGY Summer Institute camps academic, they're also fun! Students can sign up for sports teams and play basketball. You choose what activities you want to do the next day. Activities include yoga, swimming, jewelry making, flag football, shopping, etc. There are also planned activities. For example, certain sessions take a field trip to the beach. All the sessions host a dance and a talent show. Your dorm room most likely consists of 2 roommates. The counselors are also helpful and friendly.

EPGY Summer Institutes are for gifted teens. Therefore, you do have to fill an application early. You also need to show your standardized test scores and report cards unless you are an international student. There are fees when you apply, and I'll admit that this summer camp does take up a few thousand dollars. For people with financial issues, EPGY is willing to give scholarships. If you do decide to go, you will meet many people who share similar interests from all over the world! Now, I have friends from England, Thailand, Hong Kong, Canada, and even Japan! The EPGY Summer Institutes is a must-go. If you don't, you're missing out on loads of fun.

eleanor said...
Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:55 am:
i'm thinking of aplying for the new journalism course! i'm extremely excited too, this post was really helpful on top of the information on the website, thanks! I'm terrified I won't be able to compete with all the gifted students of the world though..

Teenagers Camps said...
Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:52 am:

Stanford University conducts some summer camping programs for teenagers. It is good for youth to take part in their interested programs. Parents can also visit the site to get details on different of summer camping programs for boys and girls.

http://www.summerscamps.net/

SIMMONSAshlee said...
Jun. 6, 2012 at 3:10 am:
People deserve good life and personal loans or college loan can make it better. Just because freedom depends on money.

way33 said...
I'd just like to add that the math and science camps are fun as well. Last summer I was terrified about what the people would be like - whether they would be way above my head or weirdos making noises in the corner. When I saw this review I was glad to see people liked the writing camp, but still terrified about the physics camp, as math and literature have always been pretty opposite. Well now I've been to a science camp and I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Its a great experience and I su... (more »)

joh1234 said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 8:28 am:
Stanford is not an Ivy league school.....

maddie.lecesne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm:
I want to apply to study anthropology or psychology, but I've never taken a formal class in either of those subjects. Will it be dificult for me to keep up?

blondie30 said...
Jan. 17, 2011 at 12:35 am:
I applied for this summer's program! And I really hope that I get to go* It looks like an amazing program! I've applied for Creative Writing and Legal Studies, but I really don't know which one I would rather attend! Is there anything else you can tell me about camp life? And things of that sort? I am very interested to learn more about the day to day happenings at camp.

heyyyitsme said...
i attended EPGY for three summers and i found the courses to be excellent. it certainly was an educational summer camp and i stress educational more than camp. It was centralized on providing students with an education. if you are looking to spend three weeks being a teenager, i would not chose this camp. i felt like i was being watched everywhere i went. i felt like i was two years old.

stanfordwut2010 said...
I only got to spend 8 days at EPGY, but it was undoubtably the best 8 days of my life. I took the creative writing course and met people from Spain to Hong Kong and everywhere in between. Unfortunately, I was expelled due to unusual circumstance and the counselors and staff weren't so nice about it, especially the people in charge of the entire program.

fcorral27 replied...
May 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm :
What happened?

julieee said...

I've been to both CTY and EPGY, and I might agree that EPGY is academically ahead. The living conditions at EPGY might or might not be better depending on which site you choose for CTY.

However, CTY will give you a much more fulfilling experience that cannot be achieved at EPGY. In CTY, you will make friends that you will invite to your wedding someday. Your RA is truly like a big sister/brother, and your teachers and TAs are role models. It's amazing how strong the bonds become&n... (more »)

coravecwriter said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:38 am:
I went there last summer and took the Creative Writing Course. It was an amazing experience!

Shangnon F. said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 1:47 am:
I'm going there this summer! Can you tell me more about what the expository writing classes are like?

Othersideoftheworld replied...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:07 am :
Expository Writing? Reasearch paper, formal critical essays etc. I am going for expository writing too this year. :)

Linda said...
May 18, 2010 at 6:39 pm:

However, i agree with ojmcdaniel. Stanford IS NOT an ivy league school. All ivy league schools are on the east coast. Ivy League schools are the first founded universities of the US, meaning they were the first to be created (which is why they are on the east coast..because the country first started with the 13 colonies). Ivy League schools include Harvard, Princeton, Cornell, Yale, U of Pennsylvania, Dartmouth, Brown, and Columbia. Also, Johns Hopkins U CTY program is not nece... (more »)

Linda said...
May 18, 2010 at 6:26 pm:
I got accepted into this program for summer 2010!! im soo excited. i cant wait. i know that this program is excellent and can provide me with insight to other talented students besides just myself and students in my school and I will realize how hard i must push myself to be on top. Once again, I CANT WAIT! : )

Meera replied...
May 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm :
I'm going there this summer too! I am SO excited. I'm doing Bioscience and Biotech. You? 

Othersideoftheworld replied...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:11 am :
Heavy subjects you are enrolling into... I'm taking the easy way out with expository writing.

Linda replied...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:14 pm :

oh cool meera! are you going for session 1 or session 2/2E? Unfortunately, i will be doing topics in psychology. So we wont be roomies cus they group students by their subject. Expository writing might be interesting, othersideoftheworld. Too bad writing really isnt a favorite of mine (which is why im going into medicine! :] ). Are you going for session 1 or session 2/2E, othersideoftheworld?

Shangnon F., I hope to c u there too! im even more excited now! Which session a... (more »)

Othersideoftheworld replied...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:34 pm :
Session 2 for me