Duke TIP @ASU in Appalachian State University | Teen Ink

Duke TIP @ASU in Appalachian State University

By Wallypenguin PLATINUM, Brunswick, Georgia
Wallypenguin PLATINUM, Brunswick, Georgia

"Get thee to a nunnery!"
-Hamlet

This Summer I attended a camp run by Duke TIP. TIP stands for Talent Identification Program, and to get in you have to take the SAT in middle school. Taking the test may have been boring; however, the reward made the test worth it. If you scored high enough, you were invited to sign up for a class at several participating colleges. I chose ASU because it is the closest to wear I live (still very far though), and I am so glad I did.

We stayed on campus for almost a month, and the experience was amazing to say the least. Every day we woke up at seven and went down to breakfast. Then we had class for three hours before returning to the dining hall for lunch. After that we went back to class for three hours. By the way, these classes were extremely fun, especially mine since it was theatre. AFter class was over we had free time in the dorm or on the quad. THis was time we could spend with our friends and just hang out. After free time we had dinner and one more hour of class. Then it was time for evening activities. Evening activities were always a really fun activity, even ones that you didn't think would be fun were, and that is partly because our residential counselors were so awesome. Finally we had lights out and got ready for another exciting day.

During my stay at ASU, I made some pretty amazing friends. Since camp we have all stayed connected. When they say you make life long friends at this camp, they really mean it. WE had so much fun together, and I really hope I will get to see them again someday.

Classes at ASU were really fun. In my class, we had a professor who taught us all about how theatre started, to how it has progressed, to how it is now. WE also had a super fun Teaching Assistant who helped us through some of the more challenging subjects.

Overall Duke TIP is a fun, challenging, and exciting way to spend your summer if you excel in academic studies. If you are given the opportunity to take the SAT before High School, DO IT! This camp was probably the most exciting way I have ever spent my summer. If I could, I would go back every year. Five stars.

Daemidra said...
on Sep. 20 2014 at 11:55 pm
I went to TiP at Georgia Tech Term II (Writing With Power) this year and Wake Forest University Term II (Algebra II) last year!   Has anyone else gone to TiP before?

Kyle H. said...
on Jul. 19 2014 at 3:18 am
I realize how late this is, but I definently recommend theatre. It was a great learning experience for us and our professor. We did everything from improv toperforming in front of the rest of the camp. The best part is, our theatre group still interacts sharing stories and work often. I hope you got to go experience this for yourself.

Alexandriag said...
on Mar. 18 2014 at 11:07 pm
Hi!  My name is Alexandria.  I am a seventh grader hoping to attend the Academy Summer Studies this summer 2014.  I will be going to the one at the University of Kansas.  I am having a hard time picking courses.  Do you recommend theater?  Have you done any other courses?  I having been acting my whole life and theater would be amazing.  Is it challenging?  Would I learn anything out of it?  I have been in the buisness for 11 years.  I do not know what to do.  Your help would be appretiated.  Thank You! Alexandria 3/18/14