Alabama A&M University Summer Youth Program This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This past summer I attended the Summer Youth Program at Alabama A&M University. Alabama A&M University is a predominantly black college located in Huntsville, Alabama.

There were two different sessions, one in June, and the other in July. This program is for boys and girls in grades 6-12.

Everyone had classes to go to everyday. All classes were 45 minutes long, and included science, reading, English, mathematics, arts, drama, or music. If you played a musical instrument, you could sign up for private lessons.

All campers stayed in dorms on the university campus. This gave us insight into what college life would be like. Most of us pleasantly discovered that the college students who stayed on campus for the summer treated us with respect.

Some of the activities we took part in were a "getting to know you" banquet, field trips to the local mall and movie theater, going on a tour of the town, having a dance at a local radio station with a disc jockey, visiting the Space and Rocket Museum, and best of all; going to the MC Hammer concert.

I would highly recommend this program. It is a fun way to spend a week of your summer. n

dh3111 said...
I was searching for something else concerning Alabama A&M University, and I clicked on Summer programs.  It was a pleasure to read this compliment from a participant in this program.  I must admit the faculty and staff in this program were all outstanding.  We had very good students, and many were from all walks of land.  We treasured and enjoyed tremendously what we were doing. It was an outstanding program and one that needs to continously exist for our student learning... (more »)

nasha94 replied...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm :
What is the name of this program?