Center For Talented Youth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This summer I attended the Center for Talented Youth (C. T.Y.) summer program. C.T.Y. is run by Johns Hopkins University for students between the ages of thirteen and seventeen, who qualify by earning high scores on the SATs in seventh grade as part of a national talent search. C.T.Y. programs are run at several different colleges around the United States in two three-week sessions. Usually participants in C.T.Y. live at a college for three weeks, but commuter programs are available at some sites. There are a large variety of different courses to choose from in the humanities, mathematics, and sciencess. Each student picks one course for the entire session.

I attended C.T.Y. at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, PA and took a writing course. It was my first time at C.T.Y., and I was a little worried before going that all the kids would be nerds and that we'd never have any fun. I was totally wrong. They were all normal teenagers interested in normal teenage things. I met a lot of different kinds of people: athletes, artists, environmentalists, etc. The social atmosphere was great. Unlike school, which is often exclusive, this was inclusive. No one was ever left out because they were weird or different. I made a lot of great friends and still keep in touch with several. Although classes ran for five hours every day, there was still time to play sports or music, make art, or just hang out. During the weekends there were special activities, dances, and trips to the mall and movies. As for my course, I found it more interesting and challenging than normal school classes. The teachers respected our opinions and intelligence and we were able to discuss topics usually left untouched in school. Although the course was challenging, it was not difficult; we had plenty of time to complete homework during the two-hour evening study hall and had no tests. I feel I learned a lot in my course. I really enjoyed my experience at C.T.Y. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn over the summer but doesn't want to attend anything like summer school. n

swimmer said...
I luved cty, but I can't decide what is better Lancaster or JHU, and the reasons so I convince my mom one way or the other

Kelsey W. replied...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:39 pm :
Lancaster definitely! it's amazing...summer '11 is my onemore year and i'm definitely going to lan for my next two years. i've gone for the past two as well. i'm gonna miss CTY so much!! <3

VWH94 said...
Yes, definitely go Lancaster! CTY is amazing

BradP27 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 2, 2009 at 4:47 am:
Lifetime CTYer from the day I went to the first day camp after 2nd grade. 5-year-freak eligibility too (bonus!) Carlisle Session 2 talent show MC two years running. Time of my life. I love CTY and I love the Passionfruit.

Abby M. said...
I have been to CTY twice now and it really is amazing. i enjoyed both summers and really hope i can go back for my last two years.

V... replied...
Dec. 8, 2009 at 6:05 pm :
Go Lancaster!!!