Center For Talented Youth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This summer I attended the Center for Talented Youth (C. T.Y.) summer program. C.T.Y. is run by Johns Hopkins University for students between the ages of thirteen and seventeen, who qualify by earning high scores on the SATs in seventh grade as part of a national talent search. C.T.Y. programs are run at several different colleges around the United States in two three-week sessions. Usually participants in C.T.Y. live at a college for three weeks, but commuter programs are available at some sites. There are a large variety of different courses to choose from in the humanities, mathematics, and sciencess. Each student picks one course for the entire session.

I attended C.T.Y. at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, PA and took a writing course. It was my first time at C.T.Y., and I was a little worried before going that all the kids would be nerds and that we'd never have any fun. I was totally wrong. They were all normal teenagers interested in normal teenage things. I met a lot of different kinds of people: athletes, artists, environmentalists, etc. The social atmosphere was great. Unlike school, which is often exclusive, this was inclusive. No one was ever left out because they were weird or different. I made a lot of great friends and still keep in touch with several. Although classes ran for five hours every day, there was still time to play sports or music, make art, or just hang out. During the weekends there were special activities, dances, and trips to the mall and movies. As for my course, I found it more interesting and challenging than normal school classes. The teachers respected our opinions and intelligence and we were able to discuss topics usually left untouched in school. Although the course was challenging, it was not difficult; we had plenty of time to complete homework during the two-hour evening study hall and had no tests. I feel I learned a lot in my course. I really enjoyed my experience at C.T.Y. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn over the summer but doesn't want to attend anything like summer school. n

I_miss_CTY said...
Aug. 26 at 8:54 pm
@MeteorInTheVoid To be honest, I am suffering from PCTYD as well. Which site did u go to?

MeteorInTheVoidThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 24 at 10:53 am
OMGOSH A CTYER!!! Hi - I CTY you! Ok sorry I'm suffering from acute PCTYD, which explains a lot lol. Where did you go?

hehe;)4747 said...
Jan. 17 at 3:52 pm
Are we allowed to bring hair straighteners or hair curlers?

MeteorInTheVoidThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 24 at 10:54 am
You are at Lancaster -but the rules depend on site and year, so not sure

hehe;)4747 said...
Jan. 17 at 3:51 pm
I am not a picky eater, but can someone tell me about the food at cty?

hehe:)4747 said...
Jan. 17 at 3:48 pm
Hi, I'm applying for it!! Does anyone have some recommendations for which courses are the most fun?! I really can't decide.

Aug. 24 at 10:55 am
I assume you already went... Sorry if this is intrusive but did you go to CTY? What did you take/where, if you don't mind me asking?

Girlinthe852 said...
Jul. 8, 2015 at 10:46 am
Do you guys go shopping ? How much would you recommend is a reasonable amoutn of money to bring ? I live in China so a lot of the clothing lines aren't here , I'm thinking it would be a bit of a shame to go to the US and not go shopping :p

Thefanatasticagirlie101 said...
That is so epic. I have always wanted to attend something like that. UTA has a similar program like that.

dgeileen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 22, 2014 at 7:09 am
Yay CTY! I went to lancaster this year too and it really was so much fun.

WaterFan said...
May 15, 2014 at 11:38 am
I loved Evanston so much last year! It's amazing. I can't wait to go back now this year!

ctyyearnumero2 said...
i'm getting ready to pack for session two, but i can't remember what to pack (i like to have checklists you know?) and i can't find the checklist that cty puts up (i only have realcty's) can someone give me a link to cty's list? 

WaterFan replied...
May 15, 2014 at 11:37 am
You may want to include anything that you definitely need. -tons of jackets -food! (sweet stuff, yum) -clothes!  -

LB1021 said...
I went to Loyola's CTY program last year and took a Creative Nonfiction writing course. Without a doubt it was the best summer program experience I've had in my life. I can't wait to go back this summer!

PotterCullen said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:28 am
It sounds like so much fun! I'm taking a fiction and poetry course at Franklin and Marshall this summer and i cannot wait!!!

@10u3tt3 said...

I went to CTY this past summer, and I have to say that personally I'm torn between it being one of the best or one of the worst 2 weeks of my life.

It was great because I learned. The teachers were amazing, and it was definitely greaet to learn something different than what you learn in school.

It wasn't all that great because I felt like the students there weren't interested in learning anything. Honestly, I felt like more than half my time there was wasted listening to their m... (more »)

Sarah42342 said...
CTY, WE LOVE YOU!!!!

The SituAsian said...
I went to Lancaster. Amazing. The best place ever. I was a squirrel (first year, 12 or 13) but definitely coming back. The teachers, RAs, and whole ambiance was ostensibly friendly and fun. The one thing i regret is not being there now. THE-ACKIE FTW 

papermargins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved CTY so much...the memories there will last forever. I had the chance to meet amazing people, have loads of fun, all within a welcoming and open environment. I can sincerely say it was the best three weeks of my life !!!

Mr. Swaggalicious said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 7:52 am
Going to CTY today. imma first yer