Center For Talented Youth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This summer I attended the Center for Talented Youth (C. T.Y.) summer program. C.T.Y. is run by Johns Hopkins University for students between the ages of thirteen and seventeen, who qualify by earning high scores on the SATs in seventh grade as part of a national talent search. C.T.Y. programs are run at several different colleges around the United States in two three-week sessions. Usually participants in C.T.Y. live at a college for three weeks, but commuter programs are available at some sites. There are a large variety of different courses to choose from in the humanities, mathematics, and sciencess. Each student picks one course for the entire session.

I attended C.T.Y. at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, PA and took a writing course. It was my first time at C.T.Y., and I was a little worried before going that all the kids would be nerds and that we'd never have any fun. I was totally wrong. They were all normal teenagers interested in normal teenage things. I met a lot of different kinds of people: athletes, artists, environmentalists, etc. The social atmosphere was great. Unlike school, which is often exclusive, this was inclusive. No one was ever left out because they were weird or different. I made a lot of great friends and still keep in touch with several. Although classes ran for five hours every day, there was still time to play sports or music, make art, or just hang out. During the weekends there were special activities, dances, and trips to the mall and movies. As for my course, I found it more interesting and challenging than normal school classes. The teachers respected our opinions and intelligence and we were able to discuss topics usually left untouched in school. Although the course was challenging, it was not difficult; we had plenty of time to complete homework during the two-hour evening study hall and had no tests. I feel I learned a lot in my course. I really enjoyed my experience at C.T.Y. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn over the summer but doesn't want to attend anything like summer school. n

dgeileenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 22 at 7:09 am:
Yay CTY! I went to lancaster this year too and it really was so much fun.

WaterFan said...
May 15 at 11:38 am:
I loved Evanston so much last year! It's amazing. I can't wait to go back now this year!

ctyyearnumero2 said...
Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm:
i'm getting ready to pack for session two, but i can't remember what to pack (i like to have checklists you know?) and i can't find the checklist that cty puts up (i only have realcty's) can someone give me a link to cty's list? 

WaterFan replied...
May 15 at 11:37 am :
You may want to include anything that you definitely need. -tons of jackets -food! (sweet stuff, yum) -clothes!  -

LB1021 said...
Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:18 pm:
I went to Loyola's CTY program last year and took a Creative Nonfiction writing course. Without a doubt it was the best summer program experience I've had in my life. I can't wait to go back this summer!

PotterCullen said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:28 am:
It sounds like so much fun! I'm taking a fiction and poetry course at Franklin and Marshall this summer and i cannot wait!!!

@10u3tt3 said...

I went to CTY this past summer, and I have to say that personally I'm torn between it being one of the best or one of the worst 2 weeks of my life.

It was great because I learned. The teachers were amazing, and it was definitely greaet to learn something different than what you learn in school.

It wasn't all that great because I felt like the students there weren't interested in learning anything. Honestly, I felt like more than half my time there was wasted listening to their m... (more »)

Sarah42342 said...
CTY, WE LOVE YOU!!!!

The SituAsian said...
I went to Lancaster. Amazing. The best place ever. I was a squirrel (first year, 12 or 13) but definitely coming back. The teachers, RAs, and whole ambiance was ostensibly friendly and fun. The one thing i regret is not being there now. THE-ACKIE FTW 

papermargins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved CTY so much...the memories there will last forever. I had the chance to meet amazing people, have loads of fun, all within a welcoming and open environment. I can sincerely say it was the best three weeks of my life !!!

Mr. Swaggalicious said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 7:52 am:
Going to CTY today. imma first yer

rachjuja said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:08 pm:
If we choose to bring our laptops are we aloud to use it anytime out of class other than during activities or are we monitered

EL FUAAA replied...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 7:53 am :
no point. No Wifi

Some 7th Grader.... said...
May 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm:

Hey guys, I just got into the CTY program.... Im nervous and need some tips... 

1. CAN WE BRING PHONES/ IPODS?

2. CAN WE BRING LAX WANDS?

3. What do we need to pack?

4. What can I expect? (Taking a writing course)

5. What is the schedule for the day? I.E. wake up time, school time, relax time?

Please leave a reply to my questions 

pianogirl123 replied...
May 12, 2011 at 8:33 pm :

1.  Yes you can bring your phones and ipods, but you're totally responsible for it.

2.  I'm pretty sure you could...but I don't see a lot of other people bringing theirs to CTY.

3.  I would pack everything on the CTY Checklist: What to Bring/What Not to Bring.  Also check out RealCTY (website), it has a lot of great tips on what to bring for tradition or if you need to bring a stash of food (you might get hungry during the night, or the food might suck).

... (more »)

Livelaughlovewrite said...
Anyone who's ever been to CTY knows its unlike anything you've ever experienced! Carlisle session 1 last year was amazing! I met so many great writers and i plan on going back this year. I absolutely adore everything about it! There should be no question about attending, it is a must. CTYers are a breed all their own, with a thousands new words and quirks. We relish in being wierd! If you fit this, then you'll fit in perfectly!

Bubble Gum said...
Last year I attended a CTY online course (in writing, in fact) and have recently been thinking about trying out a camp this summer. Your article convinced me! Great job!

allisooon33 said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm:

CTY was definitely THE most amazing 3 weeks of my life. No doubt about it. The friendships you make there are not regular friendships. They're indescribable bonds that last a lifetime. The atmosphere is just generally positive, because everyone is having the time of their lives. Everyone is there because they want to be. A lot of activities that are planned are completely lame, but it doesn't stop CTYers from having fun. You enjoy every experience, even the bad ones, at CTY. Where I went last... (more »)

mcphee replied...
Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:47 pm :
please advise on what university you stayed at

iwanttobeforeveryoung said...
May 8, 2010 at 1:57 pm:

Your article was interesting but as a veteran CTYer I have to say CTY is so much more than the watered down basics you mentioned.  What about the traditions?

I love CTY and I love the Passionfruit.