People To People This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

One of my most memorable summers was my trip down under to New Zealand and Australia when I had the opportunity to be a part of the People To People Youth Science Student Ambassador Exchange program. Founded by President Dwight D. Eisenhower to broaden students' knowledge, understanding, and respect of other countries, my specific trip offered me a well organized, well planned, informative and fun way to see another country with the help of knowledgeable hosts.

Our delegation's twenty day stay itinerary was filled with action-packed thrills from diving on the Great Barrier Reef to nature hikes in the tropics of New Zealand. Our group also travelled to a Maori village where we stayed overnight learning about the native tribal rituals, dances, customs, beliefs, and way of life in the city of Rotorua, a city surrounded with hot springs, essential for the tribes survival.

Another aspect of the trip was a homestay with a New Zealand family. This offered me a chance to ask questions and become well informed and acquainted with a resident family.

The trip also included museum visits, long flights and bus rides. I quickly felt at home with the new friends I met from my own delegation. I am still closely involved with many of friends from the trip. If you get a chance to be involved with the People to People summer programs, I highly recommend doing it.

Tori99 said...
Thanks for the awesome recommendation!! I plan on going to Ireland, England, Wales and Scotland this summer on one of the trips, and I'm so excited!!! XD

p2pnerd said...
i have been on 3 people to people trips and i think that they are a wonderful investment in your self. ive been to Australia (2005), Europe (2007) and Ecuador/Galapagos Islands (2011). i am currently preparing to go to south africa this summer. i recomend this to anyone who wants to travel the world and is willing to cough up the cash to go on it.

andiwilltrytofixyou said...
I went on a P2P trip to Cali when I was eleven... but that's NOTHING compared to going out of the country! I really wanted to do the Peru trip (last year I think it was?) but couldn't :( This program is GREAT! I advise anyone who gets accepted to try it out!!! :D

Allthegoodnamesaretaken said...
Apr. 2, 2011 at 9:58 am
I wanted to go on a trip to China with people to people this summer but it was WAY too expensive.

Vitality This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I went on one of these People to People trips as well. One of the most fun experiences I've ever had. Good Job on the article. :>

ClaireBear said...
im going on that trip this summer and im just so excited! but im kinda haven trouble raising the money i live in such a small town :(

SkyWolfThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

thats so cool that you went!

ive been getting letters from them asking me to go on trips for the past two years but never went.

i might end up going based on that recomenndation though! :)

Ayelai said...

I totally agree with this!! Last summer I took one of their trips to Australia for 20 days. It had to be the most amazing experience I've ever had in my life!! It is really expensive, but I felt that it was completely worth the money.

All you have to do is fundraise and apply for scholarships and aid. I fundraised some of my spending money by recycling printer cartridges. :)

jlw11 said...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 9:40 am
Wow! I have gotten invited every summer since I can't remember when! I have never gotten to go though because my family couldn't afford it. ): It's amazing though, that you got to go. And it's also amazing that you really don't take it for granted. Opportunities like that are once in a lifetime. I'm happy that you appreciate that.

Catisue22 said...
Oct. 30, 2010 at 1:23 am
I went on a trip to England and France with People to People. So far, it has been the best thing that has EVER happened to me. I discovered myself there... and I discovered my passion for writing. With just those little travel journals they handed out months before the trip, I realized that writing was what I wanted to do... that, and traveling. I'm saving up my money at this very moment for another trip. I've been getting more letters, and hopefully the next one I'll go on. I've gone, my sister... (more »)

destiny said...
that sounds like fun. i got invited to go to it this summer. i might go

ABABA said...
thats good(::)

ronaldrobinson14 said...
Sept. 2, 2009 at 4:04 am
what did you sign up for?