Duke Young Writers' Camp This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every year, hundreds of students flock to the Duke Young Writers' Camp in Durham, NC, and come back with an understanding of many things in addition to writing. Of course, these discoveries are often reflected in campers' writing. Whether they appear in poetry, short stories, or videos, it is clear that campers find much to write about. They are able to share their experiences and feelings, past or present, in a one-hour session called "Reader's Forum," when all are given the chance to showcase their talents by reading a piece.

During the mornings, campers attend two pre-selected classes which range from poetry and newspaper production to video production, and sessions are lead by an outstanding, experienced and enthusiastic staff.

Of course, campers enjoy themselves in other ways as well. They can sign up for activities including baseball games, movies, and trips. They are also given free time to enjoy a walk with a friend, play a favorite sport, or just relax in their room.

The dorms are comfortable and give campers a good sense of college life. While some find the 11:00 curfew a bit strict, most find plenty of time to socialize and meet new friends. The meals, while far from delectable, usually satisfy.

At the end of the two-week session, campers, relatives, and teachers gather at a celebration where highlights are commemorated. It is hard to find one camper who isn't heartbroken at the thought of leaving these new friendships. And, many find themselves coming back year after year to take different classes, meet more people, and relive the Duke Young Writers' Camp experience. Y

musiclover2396 said...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 2:15 am:
I attended this camp this past July and I have to say it was one of the most fun, memorable, and building experiences of my life. Reader's Forum was a great opportunity to share my work. The counseors end up being like famiy (especially Mollyemma and Laura if you're lucky enough to get them.) Classes are incredibly entertaining and each person can take somethign away from them. Looking back at my pictures and all the things I've created I can't wait to come back next summer.

NadiaAThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm:
I'm going this year; it's gonna be so much fun!

Tory replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:15 pm :
Me too! So excited!

NadiaAThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm :
Are you going to the second session?

ArtInBlackandWhite said...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 10:51 am:
I'm going this year...SO excited!

myturntobebrave said...
Jun. 26, 2009 at 4:30 am:
Going this year!!

Sarcasm Beetle said...
Apr. 5, 2009 at 4:31 am:
I went to DYWC 2 years ago. I just now read back over my journal I kept. It's one of the best things I've ever done and I highly highly reccomend it. The staff are amazing and everything is just wonderful. I'll never forget it!

Campbell23 said...
I would like to join this program please.

khufu replied...
Nov. 17, 2009 at 8:22 am :
I'm the director of the Duke Youth Programs. I ran across your request during a search of this site. You can find information about the program at <www.learnmore.duke.edu/youth> Feel free to contact me if you need more assisstance.

Shelby D. replied...
Dec. 3, 2009 at 8:23 pm :
Hi, so I am very interested in this program and I went to your link and it just led me to a very brief list of different programs. Could you possibly lead me to more information? Thanks.

The_Phantom_ofthe_Opera This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 3, 2010 at 10:28 am :
Hey, I'm looking to go on this course too. Is it good?

lifelightandlove replied...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 2:22 pm :
When I was younger, I was asked to be part of the "Duke TIPS" program, so I know they reach out to youth very well, but how do I enroll in this camp, how long does it last and what are the fees? I might possibly be going to the Mississippi School of Arts for writing poetry, and I'm sure this would help me. Information please?