Undertale on PC | Teen Ink

Undertale on PC

November 19, 2015
By Drakeno427 BRONZE, Hemet, California
Drakeno427 BRONZE, Hemet, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

If I had to describe Undertale in one sentence it would be “The only game that can me me laugh as hard is makes me cry”. Undertale is a old style RPG with it’s black and white text inventories and turn based combat, yet it has a great twist, incorporating a type of gameplay called “Bullet Hell” which refers to filling the screen with projectiles with set patterns that are possible to dodge, but not easy. Another key feature that makes this game so great is its multiple endings. Depending on how you play the game changes and the ending does too. Genocide mode is a term for describing you “evil” playthrough, killing enemies gives you experience points which you use to level up, when you level up you gain more health making the game easier, except for the fact that killing enemies changes the mood of the game, the characters, and makes the boss fights harder. You can also play as neutral, killing only a few enemies throughout the entire game, or as pacifist, killing absolutely no enemies, gaining no experience points, and defeating enemies by finding away to activate mercy, which usually ends up being chat options or actions (crying, giving the monster a hug, runnning, etc)


Undertale has an amazing story to fit it with it’s great gameplay. The story goes that there was originally a human versus monster war that the humans won because of the great power of their “Souls”. The humans locked the monster in the underground and created a barrier too powerful for them to cross. The only way to cross the barrier was to collect enough power to break it, the problem is that unlike human souls, monster souls do not persist past death. In the game you play as a child that fell into a hole and ended up in the underground with monsters.


The greatest part about these games though is its characters. It uses a cast of unforgettable and funny characters, no matter how big or small the characters may be plot wise. For example one the game's earliest bosses Papyrus and his brother Sans. The first thing you may realize is that they are both named after font types. Sans is the first monster that you meet out of the tutorial stages of the game. He  loves to make horrible puns about skeletons, and plays a bigger part if you decide to do a playthrough that you kill all of the enemies. Papyrus is also a skeleton and is hilariously narcissistic. He always thinks that everything that has to do something with him, for example if you lose his boss fight he puts you in a cage you can easily walk out of. When you do this enough times he won’t fight you anymore, due to the fact that he thinks that you won’t stay in the cage because you like him too much.


In Conclusion I think Undertale is a great game and would recommend it to almost anyone if they are up for the challenge. It has amazing characters that are hilarious and very well designed. The game has a great storyline and the gameplay is one of the best old style RPG’s i’ve seen in a very long time.