Five Nights at Freddy's on PC | Teen Ink

Five Nights at Freddy's on PC

January 28, 2015
By YamiMouto GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
YamiMouto GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

You're stuck in a room, nowhere to go. You hear a noise and quickly slam the door shut so they don't get in. He bangs on the door, trying to get to you. Then suddenly, you hear the victorious cheers and heave a sigh of relief. You survived another night. Five Nights at Freddy's is a new horror game that everyone is talking about.


Freddy Fazbear's Pizza was a popular restaurant for everyone, but due to many incidents (The disappearance and implied death of 5 children and the Bite of '87) the pizzeria has fallen into hard times. It is set to close by the end of the year and no potential buyers want to deal with its reputation. According to the FNAF wiki, the four mascots, Freddy Fazbear, Bonnie the Bunny, Chica the Chicken, and Foxy the Pirate Fox had a foul odor and what seemed to be blood and mucus around their mouths and eyes, which concerned parents had interpreted as reanimated carcasses. The phone guy says in the 1st night phone message that the animatronics hadn't had a bath in 20+ years. The stench could have been from the popular theory that the missing children were stuffed inside the suits and left to rot. Due to the risk of their servers locking up from disuse, the mascots are left on a "free roam" mode at night. They used to be able to roam freely during the day as well until the bite of '87.


The gameplay itself is quite simple compared to the story. The player is a man named Michael Schmidt, who had unfortunately applied for the job at Freddy's. The person sits in an office and monitors the security cameras to keep an eye on the animatronics as they move about. They have a limited amount of power to use the camera feed, light the hallways and close the doors. The player must use the cameras to keep Foxy in his cove and the doors to keep the other animatronics at bay. If the person cannot do it, they are killed with a jumpscare and greeted with the image of being stuffed in the Freddy Fazbear suit. To get to the next night, the player must survive from 12 AM to 6 AM (about 8 minutes and 37 seconds in real time according to the FNAF wiki).


Five Nights at Freddy's has a very vague background and a very simple gameplay, but with such a big group fans, it's assumed that many theories about its confusing history would appear. The bite of '87 is one that lots talk about. The phone guy mentions it, saying, "...they used to be allowed to walk around during the day. But then there was The Bite of '87. It's amazing that the human body can live without the frontal lobe, you know?" While not stated, many assume that Foxy had done it. The reason behind this theory is because he is the only decommissioned animatronic. Foxy himself had slowly fallen apart over the years and Pirate Cove has an 'Out of Order' sign in front of it. Theory says that after the bite, Pirate Cove was shut down to avoid any other injuries. Other evidence includes Foxy's damaged jaw, which hangs open, could have been from someone trying to pry him off of the person.


The Game Theorists posted a video on YouTube with a compelling theory about Five Nights at Freddy's. Narrator MatPat describes how the game parallels the murders committed by Nathan Dunlap in a Chuck E. Cheese on Dec. 14, 1993 in Aurora, Colorado. Dunlap was fired from the restaurant due to a disagreement on his hours. On the night he was going to attack, he hid in the restrooms until the restaurant was emptied out except for four employees, Colleen O'Connor, Ben Grant, Sylvia Crowell, and Bobby Stevens and night manager Marge Kohlberg. For his weapon, Dunlap chose a small caliber handgun to kill O'Connor, Grant, and Crowell, which all of them were cleaning the dining room area. He then went to the kitchen, where he shot Stevens in the jaw. However, Stevens was still alive and simply playing dead in hopes that Dunlap would not finish the job. Dunlap left and entered the back office where Kohlberg was. Having had her open the safe, Dunlap shot her then raided the safe and left. They caught him within hours. Now it may seem far fetched but if you compare the people and the animatronics, it seems that it could be possible. When looking at the supply closet, it's a room that seems pretty pointless. It's a small room that only Bonnie can be in and has nothing other than cleaning material on the floor. This is matched with Benjamin Grant, who was vacuuming the floors when he was killed. Sylvia Crowell was closest to the bathroom and was cleaning the salad bar when she was attacked. This leads to Chica's 'Let's Eat' motto and her path by the restrooms to Crowell. Foxy is compared to Marge Kohlberg as both are segregated from the rest of the restaurant. Kohlberg being the night manager would've made her a more aggressive person, just like Foxy. The one victim that doesn't have a strong correlation is Colleen O'Connor, who'd be linked with Freddy. When after passing through the Dining Area, Freddy hides in the women's bathroom. This could point to Colleen being a woman, but more likely would be pointing to Dunlap hiding in the bathrooms before the attack. Golden Freddy doesn't appear much but still has a part in this theory, comparing with Bobby Stevens. Golden Freddy appears unexpectedly and seems to be in a limp, slumped over position. The position could be compared to Stevens playing dead. As for his surprise appearances, it could relate to Steven suddenly being alive, to Dunlap's surprise. The result of this theory would leave Michael Schmidt as the murder, but it goes further, claiming that Mike is a death row inmate and FNAF is his nightmares. That explains why he leaves safely, no matter what, at 6 AM. His nightmares involve him being attacked by his victims, taunted by the survivor, and being forced to watch the same cameras that stole his freedom. Once he survives a week, he's left to relive it over and over again.


Five Nights at Freddy's has been on the top of the charts for months, Five Nights at Freddy's 2 joining it. The game is super cheep, fun to play, and has an amazing story and theories. The second has been out for about a month and there is a hint of being a third. Scott Cawthon has not confirmed this as of yet but we will see in the next couple months.


The author's comments:

This is my essay for FNAF