Titanfall | Teen Ink

Titanfall MAG

May 15, 2014
By Christian Westphal Westphal BRONZE, Madison, Connecticut
Christian Westphal Westphal BRONZE, Madison, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

If you’re looking for an expansive game that pushes the boundaries of next-gen gaming, “Titanfall” is not necessarily for you. While ex-“Call of Duty” developer Respawn Entertainment delivers a pure fun multiplayer game, “Titanfall” does not live up to the hype of being a “‘Call of Duty’ killer.” However, as a fresh take on the typical first-person shooter experience, the game succeeds.


“Titanfall” drops you into a future where humans are colonizing planets far from Earth. You are a “pilot” – an inter-galactic super-soldier who can control giant mechs called Titans. Titans are devastating, but also vulnerable; the game offers lone pilots effective yet balanced fighting techniques against them. Unlike the human combatants, mechs don’t regenerate health, and can be easily destroyed when tag-teamed by opponent Titans or if a player is particularly reckless and doesn’t play defense.


I commend “Titanfall” for giving less frequent players a fair chance as long as they have the skills. While higher levels definitely have the advantage, with extra abilities and attachments, under-level players are not grossly mismatched. The scenarios created are expansive, fast-paced, and thrilling, with several different levels of action happening at any given time. There’s always something going on, and it makes the battles exhilarating.


“Titanfall” remains flawed, however. The game does not have the level of customization that “Battlefield,” “Halo,” and “Call of Duty” do. Instead of earning new camouflage and armor types after completing challenges, the player is simply rewarded with extra experience. And “Titanfall” has only five basic game modes, considerably fewer than other first-person shooter games.


I was most disappointed by the lack of a single-player campaign. “Call of Duty” and “Halo” provide both single and multiplayer modes for the same price; it doesn’t seem right that “Titanfall” can’t.


“Titanfall” was supposed to embody the next generation of games, and if this is a trend – developers feeding us only half-games for the same price – it could be a major issue. While “Titanfall” is certainly a good game with a great multiplayer option, it lacks the single-player campaign that could have potentially launched the title in front of its competitors.