Spore This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Touted as a crossroad between evolutionary biology and video games, “Spore” is the latest release from Maxis and designer Will Wright, the creators of The Sims.

“Spore” has five stages: Cell, Creature, Tribal, Civilization, and Space. It is the first two that gave the game its reputation for evolution. However, the “evolution” in the game is the sort that would make Darwin roll over in his grave. Players can mix, match, remove, and add parts on a whim. This isn’t a bad thing, though, as you are constantly developing your creation and are certain to make mistakes along the way, not to mention you’ll unlock newer and better parts as you go along.

Unfortunately, all that work in the Cell and Creature stages has very little effect later, as the playing field is evened out in the Tribal stage. The gameplay in each stage is radically different from the previous, which may disappoint anyone whose favorite stage is not the last.

You see, once you reach a certain point in a stage, further progress is not allowed until you advance to the next level. If the choices made in one stage had a real impact on the next, then having each cut short would make more sense, and give the player a greater feeling of satisfaction. Alternatively, if each stage could be continued indefinitely, then players could feel a sense of accomplishment from getting their creature to look exactly as they want, thanks to the time spent gathering points and unlocking parts.

I’ve been ragging on the game a lot, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have fun playing it. Hours fly by as you watch the products of your imagination go about the planet (or tide-pool, or galaxy), and the options are many and varied. You can make the most ridiculous mish-mash of legs, arms, eyes, etc., and it will still be able to move about and perform the tasks you set it to. Each stage has so much to offer that it’s hard to get enough in one sitting, or two, or even ten.

All in all, “Spore” is worth buying, but maybe later when its price goes down a bit.

DR1996 said...
Sept. 29, 2010 at 9:28 am
I have played the demo of the game but its not one of my favorates. I know most people really like it but sadly i dont

tomtamtimmy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 5:35 am
I love spore and the galactic adventures expansion but it did little to fix the pitfalls of the tribal stage and onwards. unfortuently my computer has been acting up latly and i can't play spore.

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:17 pm
That's a really great article. It seems like you put some real effort into writing this and it shows. Good job and keep it up!

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:11 pm
I wrote an article about Spore Galactic Adventures. You should check it out!

Ithinkitscoolrodrigo said...
Mar. 26, 2009 at 8:17 pm
Great!!!! My brother and I got this for christmas and we used your report to kina guide us through.
I Love the the way you explane it so that it just flows
Good Job!!!
Please Check outrodrigo my Poetry in Teen Ink Raw
Truly Living, Grace, Freedom, Anna, Bestfreind of Yesterday Ect.