Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on Xbox 360 | Teen Ink

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on Xbox 360

April 8, 2012
By Senthra BRONZE, Columbia, Tennessee
Senthra BRONZE, Columbia, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Intro:

Kingdoms of Amalur is a third-person action RPG. The game is developed by an all astar cast from Bug Huge Games featuring names such as Ken Levine, Todd Macfarlane, etc. What sets Kingdoms of Amalur apart from other RPGs is the combat. This game features a very unique combat system, very reminiscent of God of War. With hundreds of quests, this game is an RPG player's dream.

Story:

The game is set in the fictional world of Amalur. You are an unknown hero who dies and is revived by a place called the 'Well of Souls'. Your hero sets out to find out their fate and stop the war. That's all i will say, no spoliers.

Gameplay:

Kingdoms of Amalur shines brightest in this department. The gameplay in Kingdoms of Amalur is extremely satisfying and responsive. I've never played an RPG with this type of combat before. Traditional RPG elements include skill trees, upgrading your character, etc. The game features a plethora of quests and tasks. Easily upwards of 200 hours of gameplay in a single playthrough if you take your time to see and do everything.

Graphics:

The art-style in this game is very unique, influenced heavily by art director Todd Macfarlane. The environements are bright, colorful, and varied. The facial work could use a little work but is not bad. Framerate is steady throughout the game, didn't encounty any major drops during my playthrough.
While its not the best looking RPG (i.e. Witcher 2), it's definitely not the worst.

Sound:

Music in the game is good, composed by former Rare developer Grant Kirkhope. It does get a bit repetitive though. Throughout fights, it will play the same music. Its not terrible, but it can get a little irritating. Its your standard fantasy music. The soundtrack to this game features 35 tunes. Some are quite speactacular, overall not bad.

Verdict:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a very unique RPG, like no other before it. Its succeeds on many levels but falls a little short on others. It is still an excellent game and if you're a fan of action rpgs, this is a must buy. It is worth the $60 price tag.

Score: 9/10


The author's comments:
I am a huge RPG nerd and i think everyone needs to know about this amazing game.