The World Ends With You This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“You have seven days.” Though this one-liner is clichéd, “The World Ends With You” definitely isn't. This one-of-a-kind action role-playing game features fashion, fast food, and giant invisible monsters. Released by Jupiter and Square Enix (publishers of the classic Final Fantasy series), this game boasts vivid graphics, fascinating characters, and an amazing soundtrack.

Tetsuya Nomura, designer of the Kingdom Hearts characters, has created another melodramatic, spiky-haired teenager. Neku Sakuraba is an antisocial 15-year-old living on the streets of Shibuya, Tokyo. The game begins with a bewildered Neku awakening in Shibuya's Scramble Crossing, devoid of memories. He learns that he has to play the Reapers' Game where he must survive for seven days in order to win. But as the plot progresses, Neku senses foul play.

One unique feature is the game's Stride Cross Battle System. Combat takes place on both of the DS screens, with Neku on the bottom screen and his partner on the top. Players must control the pair simultaneously to defeat an enemy. This is difficult to master, but focusing on Neku and mashing buttons for his partner usually works well.

The parameter system is quite unusual as well. The only way to increase attacks or other stats is to eat Japanese foods, and following the trends is also a major part of the game. Trends change throughout the game and affect the attack of the player, depending on the brand of clothing they are wearing. Yes, the reason Neku is dying all the time may be because his shoes aren't fashionable! Bravery is also crucial and can be gained through food and fashion, too: after all, it takes a lot of courage to stroll through Shibuya in bondage pants and a purple bikini top!

All of the characters in “The World Ends Wth You” have their own personalities, ranging from trigonometry-obsessed Minamimoto to fashion junkie Shiki. The soundtrack is one of the best, ranging from J-Pop to electronica. Also, the locations are real. The graphics may be two-dimensional, but they are bright and vivid.

Winner of the IGN Editors Choice Award for April and Game Informers Handheld Game of the Month in May 2008, “The World Ends With You” is probably the best RPG available for the Nintendo DS.

This is one of the only games where you can live, breathe, and feel the location. You can hear the voice of the city and learn about common worries in Japan, like rent money. I recommend you try this distinctive, inimitable game.