Professor Layton and the Curious Village | Teen Ink

Professor Layton and the Curious Village MAG

February 25, 2010
By Carol Deng BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Carol Deng BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

You turn the corner, eager to continue your adventure, but the first thing that catches your attention is a loud, pudgy man raging with anger. Hesitant but ready to help, you approach this villager. Angrily, he tells you about three guys he can't stand and requests your help. Eager to get away from him, you quickly solve his puzzle. He thanks you and smiles, his wrath suddenly gone. But don't relax yet – Pauly is almost always mad about something.

Welcome to St. Mystere, where puzzles are the heart and soul of the inhabitants. Your journey in “Professor Layton and the Curious Village” starts with a brief video clip starring the noted Professor Hershel Layton, famous in London, and his adorable, loyal apprentice, Luke.

The game revolves around the will of Lady Dahlia's late husband, Baron Augustus ­Reinhold, who has willed his fortune to whoever finds the Golden Apple, a family treasure. Besides scouring your brain for answers, playing this game is simple: You tap, drag, and write on your DS through the many puzzles. The people of St. Mystere are serious about their brain teasers. Just about any situation or random object can influence a hard-core ­problem.

With puzzles about water pouring, moving objects around, and trick questions that require common sense and math, Professor Layton, Luke, and you will be intrigued. Once you solve a puzzle, you're ­rewarded with currency that ­unlocks bonuses.

Gliding through the town of St. Mystere, you'll find that each point on the map is crystal clear with detailed art. There's no doubt the designers paid extra attention to shaping characters and spoiling them with a beautiful environment. When you reach certain points, video clips pop up. With these come assorted theme songs to fit the characters and locations.

This game has been a breakthrough for puzzle lovers everywhere since its release in 2008. Paired with Nintendo WiFi, bonus puzzles are available, creating a gameplay that will continue even after you've finished the main plot.

If you're looking for brainteasers that will stump even the smartest kid in school, you'll definitely enjoy it.