Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on Nintendo DS | Teen Ink

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on Nintendo DS

February 8, 2010
By The_Musical_Chronicles BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona
The_Musical_Chronicles BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -- Sherlock Holmes


A game about lawyers. I was skeptical, to say the least. It seemed like the stupidest idea on the planet, next to a blue hedgehog in knight's armor.
Well, I was wrong.
Seriously wrong.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is a visual novel game developed by Capcom -- creators of classics like Megaman. Ace Attorney is a trilogy with one new arc and a spinoff for the Nintendo DS, which proves that it's amazingly popular. And it's a game about lawyers!

The protagonist of our story is Phoenix Wright, of course. He's a defense attorney fresh out of law school, and his first case is... gasp, a murder. You must play as him for five exhilarating cases (all about murder, weird) as you try to prove your client innocent, but most of all, find the truth.

What do you mean lawyers aren't that awesome?!

For a game regarding the subject of court, Ace Attorney is, surprisingly, a really good game. You slowly melt into Phoenix's sarcastic yet lovable character, and I found myself overly excited when I was able to shout "Objection!" or "Take that!" into the microphone, even though I was fooled half the time and ended up getting a disapproving look from the judge. The supporting cast is full of vibrant, colorful characters that you will grow to love and despise just as Phoenix does. The court is fun, but investigation gets a little dreary at times (irony, much?). However, with the hundreds of things to examine and present and hundreds of different character reactions, it's pretty amusing to play.

And I found myself not being able to stop.

I bought the second one, then the third, the new one in the next arc, and found its spinoff is being released soon. It sucks you into its creative little world, and you too will wish that real lawyers were as awesome as the ones in Phoenix Wright.

...I think the same with games like Trauma Center and Professor Layton. British people aren't like that? Doctors aren't cool? What a pity.

The author's comments:
Heh, this isn't my first review. I've done others offsite. Here goes nothing. Pity I can't figure out how to turn on italics.