Hi-Fi Rush, A Colorful Game With a Musical Twist | Teen Ink

Hi-Fi Rush, A Colorful Game With a Musical Twist MAG

March 7, 2023
By GeoPall100 BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado
GeoPall100 BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.”
Steve Jobs


If you’ve ever played an action-adventure game or you like rhythm, you’ll love this one.

“Hi-Fi Rush” is an action-adventure game that makes you play along with the rhythm. You play as Chai, a wannabe rockstar that is the victim of a corporate experiment gone wrong. As a result of this, Chai can feel the rhythm of the world around him. This makes him a target because he has been labeled as a defect by the corrupt Vandelay Technologies. Chai figures out an evil conspiracy called SPECTRA, which is an AI that will help Vandelay take over more of the people around it.

As you start to take out the company’s bosses, you meet Peppermint. A 23-year-old hacker that is trying to figure out the truth about SPECTRA, Peppermint can shoot certain objects that are glowing blue and disable enemy shields. There’s also 808, an adorable little robotic cat that acts as your companion for the entire story.

“Hi-Fi Rush” plays as a normal action-adventure game, but everything around you moves to the beat. The game is easy to learn, but hard to master. Many enemies try to block your path during coordinated battles. Enemies are always different and constantly get to be more of a challenge in every battle that you get Chai through.

The game masters each level with some sort of creative twist to the story at every turn. One minute you jump from platform to platform while trying not to fall, and the next you’re fighting a creatively planned boss that challenges you to think about how you are going to move.

The game also is filled with plenty of humor, climactic boss fights, hilarious supporting characters, interesting villains, and some genuinely warm moments. These factors make the game one of the best games that I have ever played.

The game has ways to make it easier. Such as an on-screen metronome to help with getting attacks on the beat, an auto-combo mode, and a difficulty changer in case the game is too easy or too hard. I found the on-screen metronome to be the most helpful for racking up more damage and more score.

“Hi-Fi Rush” is an exhilarating adventure that perfectly captures the rhythm within its creative story, lovable characters, and rhythm-based combat.


The author's comments:

I played the game when it was released and I was immediately hooked on the creative ideas of rhythm and action-adventure.