Resident Evil 5 | Teen Ink

Resident Evil 5 MAG

May 18, 2009
By Jordan Hitchner BRONZE, Hatboro, Pennsylvania
Jordan Hitchner BRONZE, Hatboro, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Moving from the 1-bit Pong machine to the Wii, gaming has been revolutionized and enhanced several times over to keep up with modern technology. If you're a fan of video games today, chances are you're into shooting games. Quite possibly the best first-person shooter ever created, “Resident Evil 5,” is the latest installment in the Capcom franchise.

Resident Evil protagonist Chris Redfield is back to finish his role in the climactic saga. Now, the BSAA agent is sent to Africa to capture a criminal ­attempting to spread a virus. While there, Chris is assigned a new partner, Sheva Alomar.

After receiving the necessary weapons from a black market gun dealer, they find that this virus is nothing to joke about. The infected become hostile savages bent on the death of the uninfected. Chris and Sheva embark on a huge quest filled with twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

After the masterpiece “Resident Evil 4” put the franchise back on top, fans eagerly awaited the next installment. After four painful years, “RE5” has arrived and turned the gaming world upside down with excellent controls, mind-blowing graphics, and some of the most creative zombie designs ever. For the first time in the series, multiplayer is supported and is fantastic, with online multiplayer as well.

Replayability is not lacking for the first time in the series. In addition to Mercenary mode, there are loads of unlockables that will have you playing for years. There's unlockable figurines, new weapons with upgrades, treasures, new characters and outfits, and even the ability to buy infinite ammo.

Though “RE5” is an incredible installment to the series, there are a number of aspects that prevent it from being a perfect experience. For example, the irritating puzzles that take longer than necessary to solve and are not only time-consuming but will annoy you, especially since you're here to shoot zombies!

Also, the series is notorious for its small inventory that causes you to discard important items for other important items. Why can't we have all the items we want? Because Capcom wants to be realistic? But since when is a virus that turns people into zombies realistic? Anyway, the inventory problem is still an issue in “RE5.” After five games (plus over 10 sub-games), why can't they just give us all the weapons we want?

Also, playing with CPU-controlled Sheva is a major issue in “RE5.” She likes to waste ammo, making you have to give her your ammo, which she'll waste too. She also likes to get hurt and use up all of your precious first-aid spray. Lastly, the game itself takes only 10 to 12 hours to beat, about half the time of “RE4.” Though there's a great replay value, when you try the game on a different difficulty level for Xbox Live Achievements, doing some of those annoying puzzles again is a real hassle.

Though there are several cons to “Resident Evil 5,” it is still an incredible experience. After “RE4,” it's certainly the best in the series.


The author's comments:
Platforms: PS3, Xbox Live, Xbox 360, PC