Sin and Punishment: Star Successor | Teen Ink

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor

January 22, 2019
By Anonymous

Our universe's two dimensions, Inner Space and Outer Space, have been at a power struggle for eons now. Leaders of Inner space built planets known as "earths". They did so because they needed a way to breed humans to act as their line of defense. The Leaders, who are better known as the "creators" tend to wipe humanity's existence off of a planet if they don't act accordingly. Even though Earth-4 has no human population, Inner Space discovers a spy on the planet. They decide to send out Isa Jo to find and kill the recon unit. Isa Jo then meets Kachi, but instead of carrying out his mission, he observes her. Seeing this as treason, Inner Space requests the Nebulox, a group of combat specialists from Earth-5, to kill both Kachi and Isa Jo. I’ll be talking about “Sin and Punishment: Star Successor” for the Wii in hopes that more people will play this game.

The two playable characters are Isa Jo and Kachi. The only difference between them is their charge shots. Isa Jo's charge shot will explode upon impact and take out whatever enemies are in its vicinity. Kachi's charge shot can lock on to a singular enemy or lock on up to eight separate enemies. I prefer Kachi because depending on how many enemies are locked on, it will take less time to recharge the shot. Since Isa Jo doesn't have the luxury of locking onto enemies, the charge shot has to be aimed manually. So then, I would have to hope that I don't miss and waste valuable time. That fact can be irritating in boss fights, which brings me to my next point, bosses.

Bosses, oh boy, they are quite the hassle in my opinion. Throughout each level, the number of mini-bosses to fight will range between two and five. They do need to be taken seriously though. Most of the major fights at the end of a level are with the Nebulox. I'd say that two out of five members gave me a run for my money. The absolute most annoying one for me was Hibaru Yaju, the third person to fight that’s part of the Nebulox. I would have to keep alternating between using my melee attack and my blaster. There was no obvious way of knowing which type of attack to use except for the beginning of the fight. Besides that, what I like about this game is the fact that the character can dodge and attack at the same time. It's one of the few aspects that makes this game easy.

The animation was overall good. The scenery on all of the levels seemed to have this look that demanded attention. The design of the enemies was also done well. They had both an interesting color scheme as well as intricate details. The only negative thing about the animation was the design of the characters. The characters seemed to look like they haven't seen the sun in years. They were okay, but for a game like this, it deserves better. What makes up for that though, is the fact that whenever the characters talk, their mouths move similar to what they are saying. It may seem like not a big deal, but considering that it came out in the year 2010 in North America, it's not something to be so easily overlooked.

At the end of the day, "Sin and Punishment: Star Successor" is a pretty good game. Made by both Nintendo and Treasure, this game is the sequel to the original "Sin and Punishment" for the Nintendo 64. This rail shooter video game is bound to make anyone say "Yes! I finally beat this level!". I have said this phrase many times myself. Even though making people frustrated is this game's forte, it is still by far one of the best games that I've played in my entire life. These are the reasons why I recommend checking this game out.