Black Mirror | Teen Ink

Black Mirror

By ErinThompson BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
ErinThompson BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Black Mirror is a British science fiction show that has gained a lot of popularity on Netflix in the United States. Each episode is a new movie, that tells a different story as it looks at modern society and the consequences of new technology. Episodes are set in either an alternative present or a near future. Black Mirror was created by Charlie Brooker and is executively produced by Brooker and Annabel Jones. The show originally aired on Channel 4, a British public service television broadcaster, from its release in December 2011 to the end of its second series in February 2013. At this point, Netflix gained interest in the show and purchased the rights in September 2015. Brooker signed on to create a new season, however, after the increase in popularity, the show has signed on for its second season with Netflix. Black Mirror was inspired by older shows such as The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, as they dealt with controversial topics without fear of censorship. In an interview done with Variety, Brooker states, “I’m suspicious of shows that have a message (...) Quite often things we’re doing in stories have ended up coming true.” Brooker enjoys highlighting topics related to society’s dependence on technology. He creates stories that feature "the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy." The series has received increasing positive reviews, especially on its 2017 episode “San Junipero”, featured in series 3. “San Junipero” follows Yorkie and Kelly in 1987, as their bond seems to defy the laws of space and time. This episode earned Black Mirror its first Primetime Emmy Awards for outstanding television movie and outstanding writing for a limited series, movie, or dramatic special. Other popular episodes include “White Bear”, “USS Callister”, “The Entire History of You”, and “Black Museum.” With a different cast for each episode, some most notable stars include; Jon Hamm, Daniel Kaluuya, and Toby Kebbell. Brooker assures his fans that he is not short of new ideas, “It’s not like we’ve run out of black paint, it’s now mixed with some lighter shades” (Variety).

Black Mirror's name is a double entendre that summarizes the show perfectly. The first interpretation is that the show looks inwards, at the darker aspects of humanity and society. This is done through the theme of technology, hence the second meaning. The black mirror is the screen that rules our lives. Black Mirror is disturbing in the best possible way. It explores the issues of society through characters and their interactions with technology. The thought-provoking subject matter combine with powerful and excellent performances to create one of the most unique and incredible shows that I have seen. It does not only hold the viewer's attention while it plays, it makes them think long after the credits roll. If you don’t like science or technology, don’t let that discourage you. This show is not about science, but the way that science affects human beings.