Vikings | Teen Ink

Vikings

November 16, 2017
By Anonymous

Vikings is a historical drama written and created by Michael Hirst which is aired on History channel. The series is set at the beginning of the Viking Age. Vikings are inspired by the legendary Viking Ragnar lothbrok. The show stars Ragnar as a farmer who rises to power by successful raids on England and Eventually becomes a King of Northmen, with the support of his family and fellow warriors: his brother Rollo, his son Bjorn Ironside and his wives, Lagertha the shieldmaiden and the princesses Aslaug.

It premiered on March 3, 2013 in Canada starring Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok, Katheryn Winnick as Lagertha, Clive Standen as Rollo, Jessalyn Gilsig as Siggy, Gustaf Skarsgård as Floki, George Blagden as Athelstan, Alyssa Sutherland as Aslaug, Donal Logue as Horik of Denmark, Alexander Ludwig as Bjorn Ironside, Linus Roache as Ecbert of Wessex, Moe Dunford as Aethelwulf, Alex Hogh as Ivar the Boneless, Marco Ilsø as Hvitserk, David Lindström as Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye, Jordan Patrick Smith as Ubbe and a lot more, more than 300.

Season 1 begins with a Viking named Ragnar Lothbrok trying to persuade those around him to invade England. Ragnar's desire for more wealth and power and along the way he makes a powerful enemy in the form of Earl Haraldson. Season 2 of Vikings begins with King Horik at war with Jarl Borg, who is flanked by the now bitter and furious Rollo. Princess Aslaug makes her way to Ragnar's kingdom, now pregnant with his child, and the humiliated Lagertha leaves Ragnar with their remaining son Bjorn. Four years pass and storylines include Lagertha remarrying an Earl. Jarl Borg seeking vengeance against Ragnar. Athelstan questioning God about his faith.

Season 3 of Vikings begins with the raiding party exploring the new world, while Ragnar attempts to deal with his new role as King. In this series, the endless clash between believing in Christian God and the Norse Gods finally reaches its peak and creates a point of no return between Floki, Athelstan, and Ragnar. Vikings tell the tales of the raiding and trading of Norsemen in medieval Scandinavia. Season 4 begins with Ragnar Lothbrok learning to deal with his new role as King, and he watches his back from King Ecbert who might threaten his plans for peace. Ragnar makes a plan to attack Paris again.

I've watched the first episodes of the series and I can say that I'm positively surprised. It's well written, exciting and charming.  The sets are impressive and believable and the direction and framing of each scene are obviously set by a skilled hand. The characters are all interesting and likable. The only negative I could draw that there could have been a bit more action in the first season. The show is very enjoyable, especially if you're interested in Scandinavian and European history. I can't wait for the upcoming seasons and if you're considering watching this show I'd definitely recommend it.