Friends This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

No one told them their life was gonna be this way, their jobs are jokes, they’re broke, their love life’s D.O.A. In four lines, this captures the story of six friends sharing a New York apartment as they struggle to face the unexpected bitter realities of love and life. The show “Friends” reveals how these young individuals contend against the challenges that life throws their way. As the characters face unexpected turns, their friendship remains the only stable aspect of their crazy, chaotic lives. Filled with comedy and drama, this show will have you on the edge of your bed, binge watching episode after episode and laughing so hard that it’s impossible to breathe.

Airing for the first time in 1994, though 23 years have passed, the show’s reputation and humor have failed to die. To this day Friends remains to be a classic must watch show largely due to its hysterical plot and lively characters. Each character is uniquely developed in the show with personalities that you can’t help but fall in love with. Rachel Green is the dramatic, bubbly girl that has never had to work a day in her life, until now. The show starts when Rachel is cut off from her parent’s credit card and must learn to survive in the real world. Taken in by the charity of her old high school friend, Monica Geller, Rachel is given the opportunity to stand up on her own feet. Monica, the organized, neat freak touches a soft spot in the hearts of viewers. Her depressing love life and past of bullying in high school for being overweight highlights her newfound success in life as a chief. Monica’s story of overcoming obstacles and stereotypes makes her a target of viewer’s sympathy and allows viewers to form a relationship with her character, as they can relate to these common struggles. Phoebe Buffay, the energetic hippy, is impossible to hate. Her inherit happiness is contagious. Her smile and outright ridiculous comments bring the story to life and lighten every scene. The 4th and 5th members of the group, living in the apartment across the hall, are Chandler Bing and Joey Tribiani. These hilarious characters play major components in adding to the comedy of the show. Ross Geller, older brother of Monica, is the nerdy scientist that has been crushing on Rachel since high school. Despite this, he has remained invisible. With Rachel back in his life again, drama is sure to unfold. With the combination of these characters’ wit, charisma, and larger than life personalities, these individuals are incomparable to those of any other show.

In addition to the character’s quirks and charm, the phenomenal acting contributes to yet another of the show’s appeals. On the set, the characters responses to realistic situations produce authentic and genuine emotions that can be felt by the audience. The dialogue throughout the show transitions from intense confessions and emotional epiphanies to snappy retorts, consequentially producing a show with the perfect ratio of drama to comedy. With comic relief in contrast to its overlapping drama, viewers are guaranteed to laugh and cry with the characters, as they share the experience.

With humor, romance, and overcoming struggles, this 90’s sitcom explores the value of friendship and what it takes to be a friend, “I stepped up! She’s my friend and she needed help. And if I have to, I’d pee on any one of you!” – Joey Tribbiani, Friends. Because, according to Joey, true friends are the ones that don’t let other friends suffer from jellyfish stings. This act of “true friendship” shows how through everything in life (even the jellyfish stings), these friends tackled it together and were willing to do anything for each other. Although seemingly ridiculous, this excerpt captures the essence of the show’s humor while portraying the depth of their friendship. Overall, this show emphasizes the inseparable bond of six friends as they navigate their way through life’s ups and downs.