The Office | Teen Ink

The Office

October 20, 2017
By Adrine SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Adrine SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.” Said by the Scranton, Pennsylvania clown, Michael Scott, regional manager of the Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. Based on the award winning British comedy, “The Office”, a documentary film crew embraces both the personal and business lives of the employees of the office. This hysterical reality show will definitely make milk come out of your nose.


Michael Scott, played by the outgoing Steve Carell, takes role of the big boss. His bright personality and overwhelming humor brings disruption and excitement into a banal office. Throughout the series, Scott tries his best to entertain, while keeping order in the office. At the age of 45, he constantly tries to find a lover through his charm and “good-looks.” Sometimes, his ego gets in the way of ever finding that special someone. Although his humor is based upon his insulting and predominant rudeness he gives a good laugh to both his co-workers and television audience. You’ll never be bored watching this show. I sure wasn’t. Alongside Michael, his “assistant to the regional manager” Dwight Schrute, played by Rainn Wilson, and his go-to sidekick, Jim Halpert, portrayed by John Krasinski, try to keep Scott’s reputation alive even while pulling even the most harmless pranks. These two opposites come together to form a whole new world of comedy. If I can’t resist these characters, you sure won’t be able to.


Over the years, Michael tries to get inside the intimate lives of his employees. As much as he cares, he is constantly getting feedback from staff to either back off, or more frequently “just leave me alone!” There are the sometimes violent and power-hungry kiss-ups like Dwight. Dwight and Jim constantly go at each others throats, with dangerous pranks and hurtful jokes, trying to make each other even more miserable than they already are. Even in a show of such comedy, there are still the classic love stories that take dramatic turns. I could not help but resist those irrisitable love-stories that everyone loves.


According to Bob Hoose and Paul Asay, senior editors of PluggedIn, “There's the office lovebirds—likable slacker Jim and once-bashful-receptionist-turned-outspoken-wife Pam.” Pam’s role is played by the beautiful and enthusiastic Jenna Fischer. Nothing like an old-fashioned office relationship to grasp the attention of young adults. There is of course those typical downers who do not have any drive like Phyllis and Stanley, who detest Michael’s constant energy.


So in all the mayhem of Scranton, the “Dunder Mifflin Paper Company” is just an ordinary, day-to-day office that has its lovers, fighters, suck ups, and the people who just want to get paid and go home. Given 88% of rotten tomatoes by the IMDb, find “The Office” on Netflix. Pick and choose your favorite employees and try not to cringe when Michael gets a little too personal. Characters come and go, laugh and cry, yell and whisper. Relate to any or every character in ways you would never imagine. See if you are more like Kelly or Creed. I personally relate the most to Jim as funny as it seems. Every member of the office try to make the most of a very drab life. But, nothing would be the same without every member of the Dunder Mifflin Family. Steve Carell begins his long-lasting career with an award-winning series that you will fall in love with.