The Fosters | Teen Ink

The Fosters

By maya0329 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
maya0329 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

With two lesbian mothers and five siblings,  every episode of The Fosters leaves you wanting to see more. The show, an American drama series dealing with foster kids, secret relationships, and mixed emotions will unquestionably lure you into watching all the exceptional 72 episodes. With each different experience something new and exciting happens; good or bad.

This show is about a family of seven surviving their not so normal daily life that at certain points is very funny, although always complicated. Many occurrences in each episode are misfortunes with family members, boyfriends/ girlfriends, trying to get adopted, and foster care. Although they face the hardships of being raised by a large family, everyone is unique and successful in their own way. No episode is bland, and although life might seem to be going their way for the moment, I guarantee you that something will take everyone by surprise and completely turn their life around.

With a well written script and a cast that beautifully portrays each character, every actor brings something new to offer, making each line believable. Maia Mitchell, playing Callie Jacob, the main character, particularly shows Callie's troubled past with skillful facial expressions. The way she acts and speaks also contributes to Callie's style and personality. Furthermore, David Lambert, (Brandon Foster) often stutters when his character is nervous, and it shows a deeper meaning behind his character. Their “siblings,” Mariana Foster, Jesus Foster, and Jude Jacob are all part of the big, crazy, but amazing family that surprises viewers yet gains their admiration.
Many other components help to add on the The Fosters’ success and intriguing plot. Although subtle, music and cinematography impact the show just as much as the actors. Music is a big component of the show because Brandon Foster, the oldest sibling is very intrigued in and excels in piano. Many episodes focuses on his artistic style when he helped made a performance of Romeo and Juliet, joined a band, and spent time at a very competitive camp where he was a composer and pianist.

Cinematography is another large factor in the show. During arguments or intense moments, the camera is always placed in the perfect position. One technique is to slowly zoom in on a person’s face or slowly pan out to make every body motion and face movement noticeable during a happy or upsetting moment. Another method is to constantly change angles in order to see everyone’s face and reaction to a new event that might occur.
The Fosters won many awards like the Teen Choice Award for TV Breakout show in 2013, the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Drama Series in 2014, and was again nominated for it in 2015 and ‘16. To continue, the show won the TCA award for Outstanding Achievement Programming in 2014 and ‘15. Moreover, the show received many other Teen Choice Award nominations, and a People's Choice Award nomination.

The Fosters is an exceptional, dramatic show that can grab your attention and never release it. Once you watch a couple of seasons, the characters will quickly grow on you and it will feel like you are a part of their large, accepting family. Don’t forget to watch out for those foster kids!