Catching Hell | Teen Ink

Catching Hell

May 24, 2016
By ChaseNFish7 BRONZE, Steinhatchee , Florida
ChaseNFish7 BRONZE, Steinhatchee , Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Splash! The divers dive into the deep blue depths of the Gulf of Mexico to risk their lives for spearfishing. This is, "Catching Hell"! The TV show is based on people who make a living off a crazy sport called spearfishing. They go off of the coast of Hudson, Florida into the Gulf of Mexico for the search for snapper and grouper. The fleet travels to an area called the middle grounds which is about a hundred miles offshore. It is about hundred feet deep, filled with sharks and goliath grouper, and weather can build horribly at extreme rates where they spear their paycheck. These commercial fisherman use tanks to get to these extreme depths to get to a plentiful supply of fish. They shoot hog and mangrove snapper, gag and red grouper, and whatever else their customers request. There are three in particular boats that the show focuses on. The first boat is the Laura Jean. The boat is captain by Rick Cain and his two mates who do most of the diving, Chuck Chambliss and Jim Williams. Rick is 59 years old and took a risk to captain a boat, instead of retirement. Rick has put everything on the line, but he still has a passion for spearfishing. Rick must find success with his crew -- or else. The second boat is called Just Shoot Me. The boat is captain by Scott Childress,45, he is a private investigator who now runs the most successful boat in the cast. Scott has a spot on the boat and made a gabble on Paul Varian, a elite spearfishing man from Broca Raton, to improve their catch. Scott is not the gambling type in the dangerous career of the deep depths. He hopes his gambling pays off. The third and last boat of the fleet in the Suzy B. Trained to spearfish by Rick Cain of the Laura Jean, James Bulter, the captain, struggles to show up his formal mentor. James has the greenest crew in the fleet. He has everything on the line to hinder a chance at success.

If you are a fisherman, outdoorsman, or just interested in spearfishing this is the show for you. If you are a fisherman you will be wanting to learn how to spearfish by the end of the show because you will think it is the next level of fishing. If you are an outdoorsman you will think this an underwater version of hunting and fishing combined is just too cool. If you are just interested in how these people make their livings this show will amaze you on how they have to outlast the weather, fight of each other, and risk so much for these fish. These are all reasons I have watch this show and which made it one of my favorite TV shows.


The author's comments:

I like to do this too.