My Lie in April | Teen Ink

My Lie in April

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Spring is such a beautiful time, even if it’s tinged with the sadness of another year passed.  It’s a time for new beginnings and redos.  That is exactly what spring is in the 2014-2015 anime Your Lie in April.  The 22 episode, one season anime based off of a manga by the same name produced by Naoshi Arakawa (consisting of 11 volumes running from 2011-2015) is a heartwarming and romantic series that can be enjoyable for almost all fans from all genres.  Combining a realistic school life anime with an interesting take on musical anime, the series is undeniably well done.

Following the story of young piano prodigy Kousei Arima and his friends, Tsubaki Sawabe (a sporty tomboy with somewhat of a phobia of being girly or having feelings), Ryouta Watari (soccer team captain and playboy #1), and Kaori Miyazono (an extremely talented violinist with a bit of a temper), the anime is more realistic than I myself would like to admit.  After the loss of his mother, Kousei could no longer hear the notes of his piano playing, haunted by horrifying flashbacks of beatings and inadequacy.  Tsubaki, his best friend, stands by him through it all and, with the help of Watari, keeps him from falling back into the terrifying darkness he had fallen in before.  Enter Kaori, who Kousei meets after finding shoes and a pair of leggings in a tree.  With a brilliant sound and talent, along with a big heart… or maybe a terrifying temper, Kaori dives head first into Kousei’s world and turns it all upside down.  Slowly, Kaori makes her way into Kousei’s heart and Kousei finds himself falling in love.  The only problem?  Kaori is after Watari and can only think of Kousei as “friend A.”  Kousei struggles through his everyday life with his “unrequited love” while also dealing with the enthusiastic Kaori forcing him to face his demons that may have been better left alone.  With side stories about Tsubaki’s trouble with love, Kaori’s dark secrets, and Watari’s strides toward fame, this anime is unique in ways that I can’t simply describe!

With amazing graphics and an above average plot, this anime is sure to catch some interest!  The characters are relatable in ways that other shows skip over in an attempt to attract interest, but they keep it interesting.  Drawn in by their charms and demons that I’m sure all of us have, I was drawn to the anime as I’m sure others will be too!  The soundtrack is above average for a music anime and keeps away from most cliches that would be a major turnoff in other anime.  The realistic portrayal of the musical world is undeniable and intriguing for musicians and music fans alike, although most of it is classical, but when played with true emotion, classical becomes something on a whole different level!

I highly recommend Your Lie in April to any and every anime fan and even those who aren’t sure about the anime and manga community.  Both the dub and the sub are excellent, something that can’t be said for many shows, and are spot on!  If you are interested in watching or streaming this anime, it is available on both Netflix and YouTube. It’s an anime and show that I stand behind 100%, so give it a try!