Red Data Girl | Teen Ink

Red Data Girl

January 6, 2016
By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
86 articles 11 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus


 Being normal is all Izumiko Suzuhara ever wanted, but there is no chance of her ever being anything close to that.  The 2013 anime series consisting of 12 episodes and based on both the manga series (written by Noriko Ogiwara, illustrated by Ranmaru Kotone; 4 volumes published from 2012-2014) and novel series (written by Noriko Ogiwara, illustrated by Komako Sakai and later Mel Kishida; 6 volumes published from 2008-2012) of the same name, Red Data Girl is a well structured anime show that is sure to satisfy most anime fans.  This series not only falls into the fantasy/supernatural genre, but has some elements of romance that doesn’t take away from the main storyline and is very subtle.


Red Data Girl follows the story of Izumiko Suzuhara and Miyuki Sagara, two very special teenagers with intricate lives involving spirits, shikigami, familiars, and deities.  Izumiko is one woman in a line of women prone to possession and just so happens to be the vessel of the himegami (loose Japanese to English translation: princess god), a dangerous and powerful woman with a dark past and a lot of regrets from past lives.  Miyuki Sagara is a mountain monk and the son of one of the himegami’s guardians (a father who is more like a tormentor) and has always disliked Izumiko and believed she was nothing special.  As the plot progresses, the two form a bond closer than friendship and experience more than a few threats and nightmares that strengthen it, making other friends, acquaintances, and enemies along the way.  Feelings are tricky, especially when you are master and servant (to some extent).


Although the novels and manga (not available in English translation as of 2016) are supposedly romantic, it isn’t a very strong storyline and never fully develops, which leaves the average romantic wanting, but the average action seeker and semi-romantic entertained.  The relationship described as romantic is never fully formed within the anime, but is hinted at through an overly romanticized friendship that makes the anime itself much more interesting as the two characters react to their relationship in different ways in certain situations.  Either way, it isn’t offending to those who aren’t romantic fans and caters to the closet romantics and “shippers” that also enjoy a bit of fantasy.


I highly recommend the anime, although it is a bit slow in the beginning.  It has the perfect amount of everything in my opinion, and if you have patience, it’s great for almost anyone who’s into any genre.  With great character, a detailed and easy to follow plot, and the perfect edge of mystery that makes viewers imagine what happens after the series ends (although, for fans who can read Japanese and have read or want to read the original series, the anime only covers the first book and most likely will not get another season, even though I believe there should be one).  If you are looking to stream the series (I do recommend the dubbed version for those not thrilled with subtitles; it’s actually really good in the dubbed version), the series was released on Netflix in 2015 and can be found on YouTube (and other sites like it such as Vimeo, etc.).  To buy the series, it is available on Amazon and on Vudu for reasonable prices that are well worth it.  I loved the series and would encourage anyone to try it!