Gravity Falls | Teen Ink

Gravity Falls

By jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Can you imagine a successful, funny, and complex mystery that happens to be a Disney cartoon? That may sound unlikely, but the TV show Gravity Falls certainly rings true. Before rolling your eyes on this seemingly childish show that your younger sibling may watch, there's good reason for teens to also become obsessed over a new episode every Monday.

Created by Alex Hirsch, Gravity Falls has been running since June 2012. It is an enigmatic, yet comical show that is set in summertime throughout the series. The two main characters, twins Dipper and Mabel Pines, spend their vacation at their great-uncle (or as they call him, "Grunkle") Stan's house in Gravity Falls, Oregon. The Pines twins stay at his tourist trap, The Mystery Shack, while they explore the quiet, but unusual town. In the first episode, Dipper finds a cryptic, anonymous journal full of notes on outlandish, paranormal beings that are found all over town. He begins to investigate with his sister, as they make friends, encounter strange people, and meet the even stranger creatures of Gravity Falls. The show becomes addicting to watch as the plot, characters, and suspense develop constantly.

Meet Dipper and Mabel Pines, the lovable, 12-year-old duo that work together to uncover the underlying mysteries of the town. Alex Hirsch actually designed these characters after himself and his own twin sister. This certainly impacts the show, as the Pines have a fun dynamic that adds to the comedy factor. Dipper (Jason Ritter) is the smart and questioning leader who immerses himself in all of the journal’s secrets. Although awkward and sweaty at times, he is still paranoid about the town and the journal’s real importance. Mabel (Kristen Schaal) is his polar opposite, being the happy-go-lucky, energetic twin that sparkles on the inside and out. A unique aspect of Mabel is her clothes, which unlike most cartoon characters, changes in every episode. The outgoing, boy-crazy Mabel still compliments Dipper, because no matter what sibling arguments they get into, they always have each others’ back.

The rest of the Mystery Shack's characters are just as colorful. Stan (voiced by the creator himself), or Grunkle Stan to the twins, is the ultimate conman in the town with his phony tourist attractions, but it's hard not to laugh at his funny jokes. One of my favorites is from “Fight Fighters”: “You know, studies show that keeping a ladder inside the house is more dangerous than a loaded gun. That’s why I own ten guns. In case some maniac tries to sneak in with a ladder.” He’s still a caring guardian toward Dipper and Mabel, but just like the town itself, Stan may have secrets of his own that are yet to be uncovered. Soos (also voiced by Hirsch) is the bumbling, gawky, but amiable handyman of the Shack, who serves as a reliable sidekick in the Pines' adventures. The cheerful man-child is given more depth as the series progresses. The characters are my favorite aspect of the show, as I find it very entertaining to watch their vibrancy and progress. Other characters, from the town sheriffs to the regulars at the local diner, are just as engaging in each episode.

Gravity Falls is engaging to most adolescents because the series mixes a variety of episodes. The overarching plot in the show leads up to the big mysteries of who the journal’s author is and the town’s greatest villain is and his/her plans. Episodes like “Dreamscaperers” (S01 E19), “Scary-oke” (S02 E01), and “The Last Mabelcorn” (S02 E15) all reveal a significant portion of the mystery aspect. Other installments include character-development, like “Blendin’s Game” (S02 E08) and “The Love God” (S02 E09). These episodes shed some light on some formerly one-dimensional people of Gravity Falls, helping the viewer get involved with the town. All of the episodes feature humor for all age ranges, with funny jokes and one-liners.

Most episodes also tend to focus on some magical creatures that flow seamlessly with the show’s plot. Some viewers may not enjoy a few installments like “Boss Mabel” (S01 E13) or “Boyz Crazy” (S01 E17) due to the fact that fillers tend to fall on a sillier spectrum. However, all episodes have clues that help viewers solve the main mysteries. In an interview with A.V. Club, the creator points out, “…I think your mind might be a little blown by just how many clues and hints we planted pointing to this conclusion…” The car’s license plate, Stan’s back, and even the design of the house are only a few places to start. There is also always a cryptogram in the credits of each show. It isn’t hard to figure out that this detail-oriented show has something for everyone.

If I haven’t entirely convinced you that this cartoon is a gem in the dark abyss of misleading TV, you should know that the show receives recognition everywhere. Gravity Falls has won numerous awards like the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards in 2014 and 2015 for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation. In addition, Gravity Falls regularly scores 8-10/10 ratings on both IMDb.com and TV.com per episode. It’s so popular that even guest actors like Larry King and Weird Al Yankovic have made appearances. One of the biggest reasons why the show is so successful is due to the excitement of the fandom; as soon as a new episode premieres, the fans immediately get to work .The community picks up on all the clues and analyzes how they connect to mysteries of the show. I’m always quite impressed with these well-developed conspiracy theories.

I wasn’t really interested by Gravity Falls in the beginning. The promos made it seem like it only had dumb characters with enlarged heads in unrealistic scenarios. But save the stereotypical slapstick, because I quickly came to love the fantasy situations, animations, and even the not-so-bright characters. The show incorporates so many genres into one episode to make it a masterpiece. I have never seen anything on TV so original and unique. If you’ve been looking for a show so perfect it’s abnormal, Gravity Falls is “Just West of Weird.”