Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt | Teen Ink

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

By Lhodgman SILVER, New York City, New York
Lhodgman SILVER, New York City, New York

“Unbreakable! They alive, dammit!” So begins the delightfully catchy theme song of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. The spirited and witty Netflix comedy created by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock (also the co-creators of the hit NBC comedy 30 Rock) chronicles the absurd escapades of Kimmy Schmidt (Ellie Kemper), a twenty-nine year old survivor of an apocalyptic cult. With an eighth grade education, a lifetime of trauma from eleven years trapped in an underground bunker, and a relentlessly optimistic outlook on life, Kimmy takes on New York. Although the premise is admittedly dark, the show, with help from clever writing and colorful characters, is an upbeat and zany comedy that will make anyone, cult member or otherwise, laugh. 

The lively show begins with Kimmy’s release from the bunker, where she’s been trapped by the hilariously evil Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne (Jon Hamm) since middle school. Tired of being held back, Kimmy leaves her hometown of Durnsville, Indiana, for New York City. There, she encounters a flamboyant gay roommate (Titus Burgess), ridiculously opulent employer (Jane Krakowski), hopeless GED group, and a love triangle involving an illegal immigrant, a pompous British millionaire, and a dolphin. With help from a sharp and lively script, the show’s plot lines are unpredictable and clever, and the frequent one-liners are hysterical. The dialogue manages to be both silly and realistic, resulting in well developed characters that shine individually.

Ellie Kemper sparkles as Kimmy, a character described by Kemper herself as “girlishly powerful.” Kimmy is spunky and adorable, but still maintains strength from her years in the cult, as well as the unmistakable effects of trauma. Kemper, a talented comedic actress, portrays Kimmy’s optimistic innocence about the real world with vibrance and charisma. Yet, she also handles Kimmy’s more serious scenes about her horrible past with poignance, reminding viewers that as fun a show as Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is, it is at its core about a victim of kidnapping and abuse.

Each episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt shows more events in Kimmy’s new life, as well as including a usually silly subplot about the supporting characters. Kimmy’s roommate, boss, and landlady all have important episodes relating to them that further develop their rich personalities and backstories. Excepting the first and last few episodes, which discuss more major events, almost all of the season focuses on the humor in Kimmy’s everyday life, including her tumultuous love life, her struggle to get an education, and her encounters with her former bunker-mates. Like many sitcoms, each episode serves as an entertaining installment in an overarching story, which in this first season is Kimmy’s struggle to readjust to real life.

Perhaps what really ties the show together is its incredible supporting cast. Titus Burgess is hilarious as Kimmy’s roommate, Titus Andromedon, a pompous yet heartfelt aspiring Broadway star trying desperately to make it in New York . Titus is full of quotable phrases and memorable facial expressions as he tries to educate Kimmy about pop culture while simultaneously attending auditions, breaking into the homes of wealthy people to shoot music videos, and singing Boyz II Men at the funerals of total strangers. Jane Krakowski plays Jacqueline Voorhees, the eccentric trophy wife of a billionaire and Kimmy’s boss at her babysitting job, who forces Kimmy to “stress eat for her” and is terrified of her own popular stepdaughter. Rounding out the cast is legendary comedic actress Carol Kane as Lillian, Kimmy and Titus’s jaded landlady, a die-hard New Yorker who’s never been off Manhattan island and has a deep hatred of rich people. The show also boasts frequent guest stars, including big name actors like Tina Fey, Jon Hamm, and Amy Sedaris, who add individual hilarity to each episode.

Unfortunately, with the good of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt also comes the bad. In many ways, while it has a very diverse cast, the show’s Asian and Native American characters greatly play into questionable racial stereotypes. A caucasian actress plays a Native American woman, set on hiding her heritage. Not to mention Kimmy’s Vietnamese love interest, whose personality seems built on the fact that he’s a clueless immigrant. Despite these shortcomings, the show’s heart and humor more than make up for doubts about its characters. Although insensitivity toward people of color is a major flaw, it is overshadowed by the show’s well meaning and harmless nature, which is part of what makes it so appealing.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’s first season debuted on March 6th, 2015, and has been a  hit ever since, garnering seven Emmy nominations and a huge following.  Although the constant quips and quirky plot lines are enough to draw in viewers, it’s the show’s originality and heart that really hooks them. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt presents a powerful message about being yourself and persevering through hard times. To quote Kimmy herself, “You can either curl up in a ball and die, or you can stand up and say, ‘We’re different. We’re the strong ones, and you can’t break us.’” It’s the moments of true authenticity and compassion like this in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt that make it worth watching.