Blue Exorcist | Teen Ink

Blue Exorcist

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Based on the hit manga series Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist in Japanese), this anime is an interesting adaption.  Although I am more of a fan of the original manga by Kazue Kato, this anime is by no means bad, but does miss out on some of the main plot points in the manga and, in my opinion, moves a bit too fast.  Containing 25 episodes, an OVA (original video animation), and a movie, this anime is a good start for viewers just starting off in the anime genre and I would suggest that they not read the manga or read it after seeing the anime if they want to achieve maximum enjoyment.

Like the manga, this anime follows the life of a young teenager (and his younger twin to some extent) who is thrown into a world he never knew existed and found out that he was a son of Satan.  As he figures out more about this unseen world and the war that is going on between both the demons and exorcists, he finds that being Satan’s son is harder than he though it would be.  He finds that having exorcist friends and being one of the things they aim to exterminate is a dangerous and difficult thing to deal with.

I did like Blue Exorcist (the anime) and would recommend it, but would not push it on existing fans of the manga or veterans of the anime community.  It is a decent animation and is entertaining (especially the subtitled version; the dubbed version misses scenes that were in the original), so I do recommend that you watch it if you are interested in the concepts that the series involves, but not so much if you are more into the realistic genres or have previously read the manga.  If you are looking to find or buy the series, it is available on Netflix and Amazon for free (Netflix) or a reasonable price.  Again, although the series was interesting and I enjoyed it, I would most likely only recommend it to new anime viewers or people who have not read the manga series.