Jane the Virgin | Teen Ink

Jane the Virgin

By Yammi BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Yammi BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Jane: Hey, are you okay?
Narrator: How do you find the words to say that your psychotic ex-wife inseminated herself with your stolen sperm?
Rafael: Yeah, totally.

This quote shows how Jane the Virgin is interesting, funny and surprising. The show is unlike anything else, with a new concept that makes watchers feel the characters.

Jane Villanueva is a 23 year old woman. She plans to save her virginity until marriage, when a doctor’s mistake changes her life. She is accidentally inseminated and becomes pregnant. Jane’s decision to keep the baby despite her dreams to become a writer complicates her life. She was going to marry her boyfriend of two years, but the accident changes their plans.

Among the cast of characters in the show is Jane’s grandmother, Alba. She helps bring in a lot of the Latino culture. This creates a rich background and shows how important the characters’ culture is to them. For example, Alba passes on her daughter’s baptism dress and blessing to Jane for her child. This happens with real Latino families who pass on traditions.

I love this TV show because of the mysterious things that happen throughout it. It leaves the viewer with great suspense. It makes you want to keep watching it because of all the drama that happens chapter by chapter. In addition, having a narrator helps explain what is going on. Also, the narrator makes you feel more connected to the show.

This show combines elements of tradition and innovation. This helps modern people identify with this situation. This TV show is a concept that is unlikely to happen in real life. Most viewers will be interested to see what is going to happen next because of this uncommon concept.