The Mentalist | Teen Ink

The Mentalist

The idea for The Mentalist is not a novel one.  It is not a new, original, never-before-seen idea for a TV show. Yet, there is something about this particular show that causes it to rise above the rest of the TV world, intriguing fans and leaving them begging for more.  There is something captivating about this police drama that sets it apart from others that hope to be quite similar.  It is a great show.  I think the main reason behind this is the character of Patrick Jane.

Simon Baker plays a tragic yet endearing character named Patrick Jane. His wife and child were brutally murdered because of his arrogance previously in his life, and this haunting past is what drives him. Jane aids the police force in hope of bringing to justice the person responsible for the killing of his family; a serial killer named Red John.  Even with this tragic backstory, Jane's character still manages to bring a smile to viewers' faces in every episode with his cunning remarks and impish behavior. With a distinct lack of respect for authority and a cavalier attitude, he entertains in every scene. His extraordinary mind and remarkable ability to read people (or mentalize) allow him to see things others don't and solve crimes nonchalantly and with a cheeky smile on his face. Baker plays this character brilliantly, warming the hearts of fans with every episode, yet still reminding us of his character's deep sadness. Patrick Jane is one of the most well-developed, intriguing characters on television.

Another component of the show that captivates viewers is the ingenious storyline. Weaving stories of Patrick Jane's earlier life into the plot helps develop the character as time goes on.  Red John is featured from time to time, lending a more emotional aspect to the story as viewers see the heartbreak and anguish and anger taking place in Jane's heart.  A heartless and sadistic man who takes pleasure in manipulating people, Red John has made Patrick Jane's life worse and worse every time he makes an appearance. Killing people close to Jane is a favorite pastime of his.  Red John adds strife and emotion to the story, making it much more intense.

The other elements of the show are good, as well.  The other characters in the show are interesting and likeable.  Romantic tension between two of the police officers is a regular part of the show.  Agent Teresa Lisbon is a great character and the leader of the police team who has to put up with Jane. The police officers add a lot to the show.  The cases that they encounter in the show are also great. They are not straightforward, but not overly complicated either. Many times, the twist ending makes for a thrilling show.

Like everything, The Mentalist is not perfect. It has flaws. One thing that this show shares in common with many others is problems with continuity. Some elements from one episode don't entirely carry over into subsequent episodes. For people with minds like Patrick Jane's, this could be a problem, and slightly irritating. If there were no mistakes in the writing or character development, it would add to the effect that the plot is one big, continual story.

All in all, I think The Mentalist is an exceptional show. With one of the greatest characters in all of television, a hate-worthy villain, and interesting crime cases, there isn't much that this show is lacking. I would give this show 9/10, for its brilliant characters and gripping storyline.  The creators of the show do an excellent job of making the characters likeable and agreeable, and you feel yourself rooting for them every time.  Patrick Jane is the highlight of this show, making every episode unique and captivating.