Attack on Titan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Shingeki No Koyjin,” known in America as “Attack on Titan,” is an amazing show. Audiences ranging from teen to adult are sucked in by the fast-paced plot and amazing animation. It has created fandoms across the globe, and a live-action movie and an exhibit in Japan’s Universal Studios are currently in production.

Two thousand years from now, humans are nearly exterminated by titans. Titans are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour humans and, worst of all, seem to do it for pleasure rather than as food. A small percentage of humanity survives by hiding themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a titan in 100 years. Then, seemingly out of thin air, a colossal titan appears and destroys the city walls. As the smaller titans flood the city, teenager Eren and his foster sister, Mikasa, watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every titan and take revenge for all mankind.

I have recommended this show to my other otaku (or superfan) friends and even non-otakus, but although some enjoyed it, others were turned off by the violence. I recommend “Attack on Titan” to anyone who likes sci-fi as well as action.

If I had to criticize anything, it would be that the show kills off characters so quickly. I had to switch my favorite character numerous times since they kept dying off.

“Attack on Titan” is a hotspot for fangirls/fanboys. Fanfictions of every kind have sprouted from this show, ranging from yaoi (gay/lesbian) to crossovers with other shows. Cosplayers dress proudly placing their right hand over their heart in a fist, the salute of the military in this world.

In my opinion, this is one of the best shows ever.