The Boondocks | Teen Ink

The Boondocks

By GrantA BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida
GrantA BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida

"Word is bond."

The Boondocks is an American animated comedy series created by Aaron McGruder. The series is based off of the lives of Robert Freeman (a.k.a Granddad) and his two grandsons Riley and Huey Freeman; a black family that lives in the predominantly white suburb known as Woodcrest. Although the show may simply appear as a comedic cartoon, many of the characters in the boondocks represent social issues within the black community. 
Riley, is an ignorant 8 year old boy who is deeply influenced by gangster/rap culture. His character mocks many of the stereotypes placed on the black community as well as areas of ignorance. He frequently uses derogatory terms especially the "n" word, disobeys his granddad, participates in illegal activities and, in addition, is homophobic. Since Riley idolizes gangster rappers, he bases his lifestyle and actions off of them as well, and McGruder uses this as a way to express that basing a lifestyle off of gangster rap music has negative effects. He also uses Riley as a reference to what many black youth do today; listen to such music and begin to believe that life is meant to be lived like the lyrics in the songs. Riley's character highlights the outcome of exposure to gangster rap music as well as the false perception of life that many black youth have within our society.

Huey, Riley's 10 year old brother, and also the main protagonist of the show is Riley's opposite. Huey is much wiser, insightful, intelligent, pessimistic and see's through the corruption in American society. Along with the corruption of the society in America, Huey's skeptic attitude allows him to understand the issues within the black community as well. For example, Huey does not approve of Riley's obsession with gangster rappers or the behavior that comes with it; he believes that such behavior is culturally poisonous to the black community. He strives to reveal societies treachery to those who don't see it, especially his grandad and younger brother. Throughout the show when Riley tells Huey about his schemes, Huey usually knows how they'll result, although Riley says that he always ruins everything because of this. Huey's character represents the strong minded black male, very similar to a member of the civil rights movement; in fact, Huey's name is based off of Huey P.

Newton, who was a founder of the Black Panther Party. Robert "Granddad" Freeman is the old, black man who watches over the boys. He is constantly searching for a young woman to be his partner, and his frequent blind dates place the family in different troubles. Grandad also claims to have been in many significant historical events, including a e civil rights movement, and World War 2. In many situations Grandad is provoked into situations that he would otherwise avoid. For example, in one episode, an old blind man beats up granddad, and due to Riley's teasing, he later returns to exact revenge on the same man and kills him. Grandad's character at times highlights the unnecessary aggression in the black community; fighting as a means to prove oneself.