Doctor Who | Teen Ink

Doctor Who

By Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other
Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other

Doctor Who Grand Series Finale - Death in Heaven

A Grand Series Finale to a Splendid Doctor

"Death in Heaven" is action packed, thrilling, and emotional. These are usually the stuff you get from finales coming from Moffat. But yet again he surprises us with a well executed finale for the first series of the 12th doctor.

As Doctor Who Finales do, the episode tied up a lot, if not all, loose ends from the last series and the current one. Most of them were already speculated by fans alike and somewhat has no lasting effect. The narrative starts off from where it left off, and as usual the problem was solved within seconds and starts off with a very fast pace. The episode's antagonists (Cybermen) are well thought-out and Missy was incredible in the episode. Serving as a complete psychopath and menacing villain with the Doctor gives way to chemistry that is off the charts. Seeing Capaldi and Gomez together playing their roles as it should be is a fun watch and I really hope see more of her character in future episodes. Clara was already well developed in the episode and seeing her as Danny meets her fate was emotionally striking.

There are several sequences where you are taken to the edge of your seat and blown away by the superb visuals.

The Cybermen were nice to see back on screen with new features that may seem to be short lived. The concept of the dead turning into Cybermen was a clever and refreshing idea.

Capaldi's Doctor was shining his way through the episode. He gave a great performance for the whole Series 8 and has totally won me over. Indeed he wasn't a hero, he wasn't a villain, he isn't an overly compassionate human being. He's a madman who will save billions of lives no matter what.

Clara was a well rounded companion throughout the series and did well with Capaldi rather than Smith in my opinion. She has developed a Grandfather relationship with Capaldi's doctor and resulted in many heartwarming scenes. Even though getting hatred from fans alike, she has proved herself as a strong female character and she was also indeed "The Doctor". I'm quite sad that Series 8 has come to an end for many questions were still left unanswered.

But one thing's for sure, the 12th Doctor will have one heck of a great ride further in the future.

+With some questions finally answered in the question,
+Missy as a great psychotic and menacing Master,
+Great chemistry between the Doctor and Missy,
+Emotional scenes between Danny and Clara,
+Thrilling scenes that will bring you to the edge of your seat,
+Stunning visuals,
+Clara proving to be a strong character throughout the series, +Capaldi's doctor making a lasting and fantastic impression.

The Christmas Special and Series 9 will surely still be in my list to watch.

Verdict: 9.0/10