Doctor Who | Teen Ink

Doctor Who

By J.ramirez SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
J.ramirez SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Allons-y

Imagine you are working in a shop and are sent to deliver a paper to a co-worker. You look for him through a maze of plastic mannequins but he is nowhere to be found. All of a sudden the lights flicker and the mannequins you were surrounded by become alive. As they come closer to you, blocking all exits, you accept the fact that you are going to die. Just then, strange man grabs your hand and whispers "run." Even though this is merely a scene of BBC's popular, science fiction television hit “Doctor Who,” the show’s fans are certainly running… to their couch to watch the next episode. 

The main character, The Doctor (currently played by Peter Capaldi), is the last of his species known as the Time Lords. He travels through space and time in a blue police box known as the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions in Space). The Doctor is a lonely man who is emotionally scarred by his dark past. Throughout his travels, he enlists help from other people. With them, he uses his charm and wits to outsmart all of his alien foes and stop them from destroying the Earth.

The show first began airing 51 years ago until it was cancelled in 1989. But due to popular demand the show was brought back and since then, it’s been out of this world. The revival series not only has fascinating special effects but new aliens that make your skin crawl, such as the Weeping Angels, which are angel statues that send people to the past if they are not constantly looking at them. For older fans who have been watching the show since it was first created, there are recurring monsters such as the Daleks, whose only purpose in life is to kill other beings. "Doctor Who" also consists of unforgettable, heartbreaking scenes that will leave you in tears and suspenseful story arches that will surprise you.

The show’s success comes from a process called regeneration in which The Doctor can obtain a new body that allows him to cheat death. To make the show more realistic, each regeneration is played by a new actor. Award-winning actors such as Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith have played The Doctor in the revival series.

Since the show relies on change to keep it interesting, there are bound to be some that people don't like. Most fans find it hard to move on to a new actor after an old one left the show. For example, after three seasons with loving, clumsy Matt Smith playing the role of The Doctor, it was hard for me and other fans to move on when he regenerated and watch an older, more stern Peter Capaldi play the role.  However, changes like these are inevitable and are part of the complex, intriguing plot. Peter Capaldi, and other new actors, bring more talent to the show and ultimately make "Doctor Who" even better.

Overall, “Doctor Who” is a unique sci-fi show that astonishes both teens and adults alike. The show airs on BBC One, BBC America and it is available on Netflix."Doctor Who" won numerous awards, such as the National Television Award for Most Popular Drama and British Academy Award for Visual & Graphic Effects.  Once you watch one episode of  “Doctor Who,”you will wish you could travel through time... so you won’t even have to wait a second to watch a new episode.

InkyOwl GOLD said...
on Dec. 16 2018 at 3:16 am
InkyOwl GOLD, Bloomington, Indiana

Where Words fail, Music speaks.
~Hans Christian Anderson

Love it!