The Flash | Teen Ink

The Flash

By LargeLlama SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
LargeLlama SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Whether you're a hardcore DC comics fan, someone who likes good television, or somewhere in between, The Flash is the show for you. Following Barry Allen as he fights evil in Central City is a trip worth taking, as it has just the right amount of drama, action, and humor. However, it doesn't stop there; throwing in a great plot with amazing characters adds on to the already long list of achievements it has. And though it is a fairly new show airing on the CW, it has great potential and has already exceeded the expectations of many people.

Central City is where all the action takes place. Barry Allen (Grant Justin) had a traumatic childhood, as his mother was killed, and his innocent father was convicted of her murder. He was taken in by Detective Joe West (Jesse L. Martin) and his daughter Iris West (Candice Patton), and grew up with them. Years later, on the night of a massive accident regarding a particle accelerator at S.T.A.R labs, Barry was struck by lightning and put into a coma for nine months. When he awoke, he discovered he had superhuman speed, and those who remained at the laboratory took interest in him, thus giving birth to the Flash. He became the guardian angel of Central City, and fights other people who have gained powers like him. Not only does he fight crime, but he can’t allow others to know who he truly is. This is proven difficult, as Iris is a journalist covering “the Streak,” making it hard to keep his personal life separate from his more exciting one. To some, it appeared that this kind of plot would be very repetitive, as there seemed to a baddie-of-the-week for every episode. However, this was quickly disproven as the show progressed, with the addition of many complex plots, it became clear that the show wasn’t going to follow the style many expected. Not only does it have an astounding plot, but any bad points about it were quickly disproven.

A good show isn't complete without a great cast of characters, and The Flash really delivers in that category. Barry was a normal guy who wanted to make a difference about the unfairness in life, but never really could until he got his powers. He experiences social struggles just like everyone else, and even though he's the fastest man alive, it's clear that he can't outrun all of his problems. He’s depicted as a guy with many flaws (most of them social), but I loved how real he is. The other characters don’t disappoint either. Dr. Harrison Wells (Tom Cavanagh) was the former CEO of S.T.A.R. labs, and supervises Barry, giving him support. However, at the end of each episode, more and more about his dark past is learned, and these little flashbacks bring up more questions than they answer. His assistant, Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker) lost her fiancé in the same accident that gave Barry his powers, making her a nostalgic and depressed character, but her new job is helping her cope with that. That isn’t the only thing that lifts up her mood; Cisco Ramon (Carlos Valdes) is the jokester of the group, who is a certified genius, having invented the Flash’s suit and other gadgets, but doesn’t act like it; the fact that he spends a decent amount of time coming up with names for villains proves that. Barry and his team are all fantastic characters, and though their personality may seem cliché to some, I can assure that the dialogue of each character will immediately make anyone rethink that. Every aspect of the show, from backstories to the lines and the plot, shapes each character’s individual personality. However, despite having such a great group of people encouraging Barry, he must keep that part of his life separate from his other friends and even close family, in order to protect them. These characters are unforgettable and qualities are set from the very beginning.

The characters and plot aren’t the only parts of the show that make it so memorable. The cinematography also puts it above the rest. Hearing Barry’s internal thoughts and narration makes him seem much more realistic, and even though it’s science fiction, the show uses the impossible parts of it to create relatable problems, like drama amongst Barry’s team. Along with that, the very basis of the show, his powers, is done very well. The effects are done beautifully because instead of using very complex techniques, they stick with the basics, which is all they truly need. They make the Flash a blur while speeding up the landscape around him, and even give a very good angle on his face as he runs. The effects aren’t just competent, but they are above standards for a TV show. I also noticed that as he became more comfortable running at super speeds, his positioning while he ran and facial expressions changed, showing more comfort as he developed his skills. Those little things that subtly make their way into the show are what really separate this from others. Not only that, but a cross-over with the very popular Arrow is interesting for viewers of either show, piling on to all the great paths the show can take.

The Flash has been under attack from others for repetitiveness, but all the bad aspects that many people attempted to find have been proven wrong. The stunning cinematography, combined with the amazing essentials, add up to something that has great potential, and I’m genuinely excited every time it airs. I can guarantee you’ll be wishing you had super speed so you could get to the remote sooner, as Barry Allen constantly impresses those who run besides him.