Sherlock | Teen Ink

Sherlock

By R.bhuiyan GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
R.bhuiyan GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"

Blood drips from the walls. A dead woman lies on the floor. A murder? A suicide? In the midst of it all, a tall man in a black trenchcoat and a blue scarf appears. Sherlock Holmes. Alongside him stands Doctor John Watson.  BBC is brought back Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's renowned detective and his companion in their crime-drama tv-show "Sherlock."

This series follows Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson solving crimes - in 21st century London. When John takes an offer to share a flat with Sherlock, he gets pulled into his consulting-detective spree, where danger lurks in every corner. Every episode includes a mind-boggling crime for Sherlock and John to decipher. Moriarty soon appears and changes everything for the both of them. As the storyline rolls out, you realize that there is much more going on that neither Sherlock nor John could know.

Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have put a modern twist on the Sherlock Holmes that Doyle once wrote about. Many others have made attempts to recreate the legendary Holmes, but few have succeeded. "Sherlock" was nominated for 42 awards and won 24 of them for the stellar writing and acting. The series is an extremely well-written one with plot twists that will leave you speechless.

"Sherlock" of course, couldn't have been successful without the amazing cast of characters. Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) distinguishes himself as a "highly functioning sociopath." Dr.John Watson (Martin Freeman) is his war veteran companion. Molly Hooper (Louise Brealey) is Sherlock's unrequited admirer. Inspector Lestrade (Rupert Graves) is always there to help Sherlock on his dangerous missions, and vice versa. Neither Sherlock nor Watson would be able to live without their dear landlord, Mrs.Hudson (Una Stubbs). The notorious Moriarty (Andrew Scott) also appears with some surprises hidden up his sleeve. Later introduced is the sexy and seductive Irene Adler (Lara Pulver) who proves Moffat and Gatiss' ability to modernize Sherlock Holmes while keeping the classic originality. 

Although "Sherlock" is an amazing show, it only has three seasons, with three episodes coming out every two years. This may sound like good news to people who are trying to catch up, but don't be too sure because each episode is more than an hour long. For those who are up-to-date, there will be a two year wait for the next episode. "Sherlock" is definitely a change from BBC's usual shows. The show airs on BBC America and can be streamed on Netflix.

"Sherlock" is a heart-racing show that keeps you on the edge of your couch. With Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss cooking a show involving Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, it was bound to be. The perfect blend of modern and classic created a series that teens and adults everywhere could enjoy. “Sherlock” will leave anyone using the science of deduction to figure out how long until the next episode.