Red Band Society | Teen Ink

Red Band Society

October 23, 2014
By asmae SILVER, Oakland, New Jersey
asmae SILVER, Oakland, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Hospital Life

No one really understands what goes on in hospitals. A majority of the population just goes to the hospital when they are dangerously sick. Imagine living inside a hospital and knowing all the secrets to the patient life. Lately, I have been watching the new Fox series Red Band Society. The third episode aired this Wednesday and personally, I am obsessed. The entire show is so amazing with the way it plays out and the plot in general. The idea of having a show about teenagers who live in a hospital is brilliant. It brings a little more reality to television, and it shows the audience that not everyone is as blessed as so many people are.

The narrator of the show is a boy named Charlie, who is in a coma. His character is beyond lovable the actor makes you fall in love with a boy’s words and the shot of him laying in his bed with his eyes closed. He gives his perspective on everyone else’s lives in the hospital. The next main character is Leo, a boy who had cancer and had to get his leg amputated. While watching you really feel for him he is alone in the world and no one understands what he is going through. Jordi is Leo’s roommate who just showed up at the hospital doors asking for treatment. He also has the same cancer as Leo and is going to have to get his leg amputated so the cancer does not spread. Emma is an eating disorder patient who suffers with anorexia. She is destined for greatness the only thing that is holding her back is herself. She also had a romance with Leo that was just hinted at but ended horrifically. Now, it seems like there is something brewing between her and Jordi. Dash is Leo’s best friend who suffers with cystic fibrosis. Dash is a character that serves as the comic relief of the show. He does these outrageous things like tricking the nurses into giving him sponge baths, which make the audience fall in love with him. Cara is the last of the teenagers to come to the hospital. She is a mean cheerleader who terrorizes everyone and has power hungry lesbian moms. Cara needs a heart transplant and because she cannot stop drinking and dumping pills down her throat she is at the bottom of the organ donor list.

The rest of the main characters are not patients in the hospital, they work there. We have Nurse Jackson the head nurse at the hospital that truly cares about all the patients but is a strict believer in tough love. She would protect every one of those patients with her life if she had to, and this quality of hers is evident to the audience through her actions. Brittany is another nurse at the hospital who just moved to Los Angeles to live with her boyfriend. She became a nurse at the hospital and her dream is for Nurse Jackson to like her. Brittany always seems to be doing nothing right in her job according to Nurse Jackson. Dr. McAndrew is one of the doctor’s at the hospital. He cares for his patients also and has become someone that they could talk to about their lives and emotions, but sometimes his life can become a little too much for him to handle.

This show just started and its already taking the audience on the biggest emotional roller coaster they have ever been on. The show is a mix of happiness, sadness, and the most surprising plot twists. This show is far from predictable which makes it that much more interesting. I cannot wait for what is to come in this show and my main hope is for Charlie to wake up. I just want to know how adorable of a human being he is out of a coma. It would also be great if Jordi would become cancer free, but we all wish for these clichés that writers try not to stick to. I would give this show five stars and I am dying to watch the next episode.