Video Game High School | Teen Ink

Video Game High School

October 20, 2014
By theunsimpleminded SILVER, Melbourne, Florida
theunsimpleminded SILVER, Melbourne, Florida
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Stop calling it a dream...Dreams are something that are far away. Take that word out of your vocabulary because it keeps it far away."














-Josh Radnor


I started watching Video Game High School a year ago, courtesy to both my blessed sister and Netflix.


Since then, I’ve been inching on the edge of the beating heart within me waiting for the final season of a hands down revolutionary web series called Video Game High School.


VGHS is web-series about a future solely functioning on video games; the show focuses on the high school aspect of a video-game concentrated future, which of course involves hormones, comedy, randomness, weirdness, and everything that is confusing about a teenager’s life, all while having the pressure to be the best video-gamer out there.


Brian D, Ted Wong, Ki Swan, and Jenny Matrix round up the list of main characters and insanely skilled video game high school students attending Video Game High School.

 

Brian D, the main protagonist, miraculously enters VGHS (Video Game High School) in season 1, the most prestigious video game high school out there, and quickly become best friends with fellow gamers Ki Swan, an extremely intelligent and precocious gamer, and Ted Wong, one rad and crazy dude. The school’s variety of videogames also forms cliques of certain genre gamers, resulting in constant feuds, which is really interesting for some reason.


I promise you, you will fall in love with Brain D’s face, Ki Swan and Ted’s wacky relationship, and the clear angst that forms between Brian D and Jenny Matrix, the main love interest of course.


Also, the show just makes you laugh, because it’s so odd and nerdy, and perfectly exaggerated aspects of our own personalities as teenagers: that includes all the awkwardness that comes with liking someone, the random bursts of random words coming out of our mouths, inappropriate jokes, lame jokes, witty jokes, the pressures of figuring out what we want to do in life, friendships, and dealing with super lame people whose sole purpose in life is to make our life terrible.  In VGHS’s case, the main source of genius funny comes from The Law. What a greatly hilarious character whose sole purpose is to ruin Brian D. Brian Firenzi, who acts the part of The Law is so good at this character, and gives some of the best quotes and facial expressions in this show, and maybe EVER. Just kidding but not kidding. 

 

But the most admirable qualities of this web series are how well-put together the story and is and how clear the shots in every scene are purposed to give off a specific vibe of astonishment. 


The graphics are completely awesome; Rocket Jump (the creator of VGHS) gives nothing less than the best, of course. Video games played on the show come to life in human form and are shot that way, which makes everything a million times awesome-r. And don’t even get me started on the set design of VGHS. It’s all genius…GENIUS.


All the minutia details, that includes the backgrounds music, flying fruit graphics in a montage of Mario Kart scenes, and even the color scheme, make the show feel more real than you even realize as you’re watching it. Once you’ve finished watching an episode, all you can do is profoundly blink your eyelids and think, “Wait, is Earth still an actual thing? What’s going on?”


The characters all have great relationships, and when you see that get affected, you will be screaming at the T.V, “Noooooo, be friends again noooow.”
Other quotes this show will likely get out of you:
• “OMG HE/SHE IS BEAUTIFUL”
• “Just-just no.”
• “AWWWW”
• “THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME”
• “WHY CAN’T THIS BE MY LIFE?”


And last, but not least, the Video Games. Two words: Freaking Awesome. Video games ranging from Drift Racing, to Minecraft, to Field of Fire, basically every genre of video games, VGHS teaches it. First off, classes that teach you how to play games and NOT Physics or any sort of "core" subject: that enough sounds most superlative. I mean, myself, I am not a video gamer, but VGHS just makes them look so distinguished and pro.


Season 3 Episode 1 was released this past Monday, and it is definitely bringing this web series into a much more real and intense setting of high school: Disintegrating relationships, preparing for the “entering” of the real world outside of high school, drinking, mistakes, and of course, love/hormone problems.


VGHS shows just what a group of filmmakers and storytellers can do with a web series. It has shown what one person can create with Kickstarter funds and YouTube. Freddie Wong, Will Campos, Matthew Arnold, and Brian Firenzi, the geniuses behind VGHS, have created something better than a T.V show, partly because it’s free, but mainly because it’s an amazing idea and story with great characters all on the platform of the web. VGHS will be known for being a pioneer of great web series’ to come. 

 

Seasons 1 and 2, as well as newly released episodes of Season 3, can be found on YouTube on the RocketJump channel, and also on Netflix.