House | Teen Ink

House

He’s misanthropic, cynical, narcissistic, antagonistic, pseudo-egotistical and the best doctor you will ever see; Dr. Gregory House. The name of the show is House, and as you might have guessed, its all about the medical mysteries that Dr. House and his team manage to solve. With a total of eight seasons, dozens of awards and nominations, and astounding reviews there are plenty of professional reviews out there to tell you that House is great. I'm not some fancy reviewer, Im Chris Ward, a netflix tv-binge watching dude and this is my view about House.

Dr. Gregory House, played by Hugh Laurie, is a misanthropic, cynical, yet absolutely brilliant doctor who seemingly finds a cure for every mysterious disease or unknown symptom that comes into his hospital. Dr. House is assisted by team, typically three or four other brilliant doctors such as Dr. Eric Foreman (Omar Epps), Dr. Robert Chase (Jesse Spencer) and Dr. Remy Hadley (Olivia Wilde). Each episode is entirely unique, constantly dealing with the patient’s issues, such as rapid and spontaneous heavy metal poisoning, while also dealing with the side-story or back stories of each character. Dr. House is diagnosed in the series as having a “Rubik’s Complex”, or the urge to solve everything as a puzzle, this may lead to some unorthodox treatments for his patients if it means saving their life. These unorthodox, borderline unethical treatments typically pits House against his own team, his boss and his friend. Everyone has their own opinions and morales in the show, and most of them conflict with each other and with House for some extremely entertaining drama. Dr. House isnt a good guy, he doesnt care about who the patient is unless its absolutely pertinent to the disease. What House is good at is getting results, by any means necessary.

In each episode there is the more prominent patient’s disease storyline, but there is also this side storyline. Typically these side storylines go into the personal lives of each character, giving backstory and develops. These side storylines give enough detail to fully understand what each character has experienced or is experiencing. You could easily hop in midseason and learn enough information from a single episode to understand what’s going on with that character. That being said, there may be situations where House did something illegal in early season three and comes back to bite him in season four. The show is fairly easy to pick up and extremely good for binge watching. The compelling drama and character development always makes one wonder what is cooking inside of House’s mind this time.
Its all real, or at least based on real situations. Dr. House is based of a Mr. Sherlock Holmes. Both characters use deductive reasoning, have drug addictions, and a certain indifference for his clients. While House himself is extraordinary, the rest of the world seems to firmly rooted in reality. People will die, marriages will be made, babies will be had, life continues as it would in reality. There isn't some insane, completely illogical disease or drug

found on the show. They are all based off of real life cases and experiences. Nothing is outside of the boundary of reality, perhaps pushing the envelope a bit, but never fully overshooting it. For example, cobalt poisoning, a rare medical condition that typically occurs when a faulty hip implant is installed.

The show’s great. There is always plenty of drama due to House’s shenanigans, there is steady character development throughout the series (yet still easy to jump into) and it seems within our realm of reality. I ain't no fancy shmancy prestigious review with multiple rewards in literature, Im a binge watching tv lover. As a binge watching tv lover its a great show, every episode is different but well crafted. The characters are real and not some two dimensional, flat figure, they have depth to them.