Orange Is The New Black (Season 2) | Teen Ink

Orange Is The New Black (Season 2)

September 12, 2014
By Ianz700 BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida
Ianz700 BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Streaming shows on sites like Netflix has clearly become the next big thing in television. Its big benefit is that you can watch every episode of a season of a series whenever you want, as opposed to having to wait an entire week for proceeding episodes to come out. Jenji Cohan’s Orange Is The New Black, arguably Netflix’s best original series yet, is the absolute best show to binge watch, meaning watch an entire season of in one sitting, as it had characters that are so relatable in such a non relatable place.

Orange Is The New Black is not only a masterpiece, but a dirty one. If you’re looking for intense amounts of nudity, some violence, mental illness, and rude lifestyle, Litchfield Women’s Correctional Center is the place for you. Admittedly, it doesn’t sound like anyone’s cup of tea, but it grows on you. Perhaps that explains why thousands of people across the country binge watched all 13 episodes of Season 2 in under 14 hours this summer, myself included, and why it had 12 2014 Emmy nominations.

Season 2 was undeniably the best of the two seasons. The plot is so much thicker than that of season 1, because it follows not only the protagonist Piper’s story, but several other stories within the prison. We learn more about Red, the former head of the kitchen that temporarily starved Piper out in the first season, who winds up forming a mother-daughter relationship with Piper. We learn more about Taystee, the happy-go-lucky, frizzy haired black woman, who, as it turns out, was raised by an evil woman. We see the relationship of Daya and Bennett, an inmate-cop couple, blossom as their baby comes closer and closer to arriving. We see a darker side of Crazy be brought out. But mostly, we see prison proceed into a deeper level of Hell.

Season 1 left us in suspense. Red had been kicked out of her kitchen, Bennett and Daya had successfully framed the idiotic officer known as Pornstache for fathering Daya’s child. And last but not least, Piper went ape s*** on Pensatucky, after she threatened to kill Piper by stabbing her to death with a sharp wooden cross. The music was loud, The scene was intense, blood was flying… and the credits started rolling. The suspense was too much! So of course, when season 2 came out on Netflix, people were thrilled.

Piper, the show’s protagonist, is, and continues to become even more of, a badass. In Season 2, we see a lot of things mold her into a tougher cookie as she progresses through Prison Hell. In this season, Piper is abandoned by both her prison friend and lover Alex, who, in fact, was the one who convinced Piper to commit a crime 10 years ago, during Piper’s post-college Lesbian phase; and her fiancé Larry, broken-hearted and jealous by Piper and Alex’s intimate reconnection. We see Piper become more of a survivor, and yet it’s depressing, because she loses her charismatic innocence.

One character in particular takes Litchfield down to a deeper and darker darker Hell: Vee, the unscrupulous new character of season 2 and Litchfield’s first real ‘villain.’ Outside of prison, Vee raised the character Taystee as a daughter, and involved her in her heroin dealing business years ago. Additionally, Red and Vee were friends when Vee served her first sentence many years ago, but Vee’s ambition soon fractured their bond and scarred Red for life. In season 2, we see Vee unite all the black characters in a Heroin dealing business within the prison. As the plot continues to unfold, we see Vee for who she really is: a ruthless, backstabbing b****. At the end, Vee does something extremely horrible (which I won’t give away) and almost successfully frames Crazy Eyes, whom Vee spends the entire season molding her into her henchmen, bringing out her darkest side.

What’s more, Pornstache comes back. This throws Daya and Bennett into yet another hurricane, because Pornstache is madly in love with Daya and thinks he’s the father of her child. She can’t catch a break from him. The two finally figure out how to get him out of the prison permanently.

Season 2 gives us so much more. We see Piper toughen up, tragic pasts involving Red, Vee and Taystee, Daya and Bennett become more of a team, and overall, we see how much worse things can get. An ultimate theme of this season is out of the frying pan, into the fire. If you thought Piper being assaulted by the mentally unstable Pensatucky was bad, just wait. Season 2 of Orange is The New Black is an absolute must watch: It is dark, Juicy, and utterly addictive.