society x | Teen Ink

society x

Society X Review

I was watching television on a regular, lazy Sunday when I came across a commercial about a new show that was going to premiere on E! named “Society X”. The commercial immediately grabbed my attention and I knew I was definitely going to watch it.

Laura Ling, an American journalist and writer, hosts this series. The first episode was all about designer drugs like molly, LSD, Synthetic marijuana and more. Today, there are many shows on television that are about drugs, such as Breaking Bad and Weeds. Those shows seem to popularize drugs and put them in a different lime light then what they should be. In this episode of Society X, Laura speaks to two college students who distribute and make certain synthetic drugs on and off campus. The students had molly, and ecstasy. They even had marshmallows and candy that had been injected with Xanax, that scene in the episode really makes you ponder as to how big and dangerous the drug world is nowadays.

This show also introduced us to a man who smokes synthetic marijuana on a daily basis. He thinks there’s nothing wrong with smoking this type of marijuana, but as Laura was evaluating the package of synthetic marijuana, in all capital letters on the back, it clearly stated “not for human consumption.” But, the man seemed to not care and still went on with smoking it. Laura took a sample of this drug and took it to a specialized doctor, who is doing a very complex research on synthetic drugs. What he found in the ingredients were dried, shredded plant material and chemicals that can cause psychoactive effects. Those effects can alter your mind, and mess up your brain. Scary isn’t it? But, these scary facts seem to not phase many people who take these types of drugs.

These drugs, and any other can really mess you up. We were also introduced to a young woman who was under the impression that she was taking LSD. But, she wasn’t. She had taken a different form of LSD, which had been laced with 3 different chemicals that were added. She said that she had felt normal the next day after she took it, but after a couple days she started going crazy and was having hallucinations. Her parents took her to the hospital, and they later took her to a mental institution. She recovered after a few weeks, but she said that it really made her open her eyes to the type of drugs that are out there in the world today. You never know what you’re taking, someone might have laced it and you could end up dying from it.

In the end of this half-hour show you really do learn a lot. It’s these types of shows on television that make a huge difference. These influential facts and interviews with people who had actually been there and done that, makes you want to make better decisions when it comes to someone peer pressuring you into doing something you don’t want to do. Hopefully these types of shows can make people’s wills stronger, and easier for them to say “no” to something that could end up affecting them in a negative way.