Seinfeld | Teen Ink

Seinfeld

July 31, 2013
By LuckStealer23 BRONZE, Lincoln, California
LuckStealer23 BRONZE, Lincoln, California
2 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness depends upon ourselves."
-Aristotle


Seinfeld is a TV show that was created by Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David. Now, what is Seinfeld? What a question to ask! This particularly funny sitcom was able to produce nine seasons, which aired 1989-1998, of episodes revolving around Jerry Seinfeld (himself) and his three equally flawed, picky friends and their (mis)adventures during the day. His main friends are Elaine Benes (Julia-Louis Dreyfus), George Costanza (Jason Alexander) and Cosmo Kramer (Michael Richards). Each episode involves how each character is thrust into funny and weird situations and at the end of some episodes, their encounters all tie together into one big realization, be it good or bad.
I haven’t seen all the episodes but it does start off kind of slow. But there are some pretty memorable episodes like “The Soup Nazi”, “The Opera” and “The Bubble Boy”.

Some quotes:

Jerry: "I can't go to a bad movie by myself. What, am I gonna make sarcastic remarks to strangers?"

Elaine:"I didn't know she had a pony. How was I to know she had a pony? Who figures an immigrant's going to have a pony? Do you know what the odds are on that? I mean, in all the pictures I saw of immigrants on boats coming into New York harbor, I never saw one of them sitting on a pony. Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense... am I wrong?"

George: “Yeah, I’m a great quitter. It’s one of the few things I do well. I come from a long line of quitters. My father was a quitter, my grandfather was a quitter… I was raised to give up.”

Kramer: “All right, now here's the lowdown. From a certain connection, I've been able to locate some black market shower heads. They're all made in the former Yugoslavia, and from what I hear the Serbs are fanatic about their showers.
Jerry: “Not from the footage I've seen.”

Anyhow, the characters Elaine and Jerry dated earlier on in the show but then decided to stay friends. Elaine and everyone have their quirky relationships throughout. George is sort of a jerk but he helps make the group of friends. Kramer…I’m not quite sure what Kramer does for a living in order to live in the apartment across from Jerry. But then again, he’s always waltzing in uninvited, doing as he pleases, be it warming up his pants in the oven or taking food from Jerry’s refrigerator.
These characters meet up a lot in Jerry’s apartment to discuss a lot of things. All in all, they’re a crazy, hilarious, sarcastic and judgmental group of friends that make up the center of Seinfeld, along with numerous side characters that get involved in their lives. But in a way, that’s what makes it watchable.

So if you haven’t heard of/watched Seinfeld and you like comedy or Jerry Seinfeld, then I think this is for you. However, the very last episode of the ninth season may leave you thinking “Why did it end that way?” if you really enjoyed following their happenings and how they interacted with people. I personally was shocked but in the end, I suppose it’s what they deserved. But at least they’re together.

Happy watching!


The author's comments:
Why not? It's a quality show and the pretty much every episode has an inspired, witty plot.