The Carrie Diaries | Teen Ink

The Carrie Diaries

By turquoisemonkey SILVER, Hemet, California
turquoisemonkey SILVER, Hemet, California

"People say 'hate' is such a strong word but they throw 'love' around like it's nothing"-Unknown

The Carrie Diaries is a charming and light-hearted show that keeps viewers coming back week after week. In the CW’s new prequel to Sex and The City, we get to see Carrie Bradshaw as a teenager in the 80’s while she grieves the death of her mother, tries to snag the handsome bad boy Sebastian Kyyd, and falls in love with the glitz and glamour of New York City, all of which she records it all in her diary.

The casting in this show is great. The chemistry of the characters makes the show believable. You feel like they’ve really known each other for years and they are a close knit group of friends. Although I must admit that I was a little skeptical when AnnaSophia Robb was chosen to play Carrie, but she has found a way to portray Carrie as a pretty normal, innocent teenage girl that we can all relate to.

As much as I love this new show, I must admit that it doesn’t really give an 80’s vibe. All of the characters’ costumes look like something that I could easily find at the nearest clothing store. In other words, they aren’t very vintage. The only characters who seem to wear anything close to 80’s fashion are Larissa, Carrie’s older friend that works at a magazine company, and Carrie, but that’s only because her hair is big. It is true however, that they use older cars, technology (such as Walkman players), and music but they still could make a better effort to make the show feel like we’ve stepped back in time.

All in all, I recommend this show to any teenage girl that enjoys comedy, romance, a little bit of drama, and of course fashion. This show isn’t disappointing and will have you coming back for more.