Gleek Out! | Teen Ink

Gleek Out!

By whosmurfed BRONZE, Lichfield Park, Arizona
whosmurfed BRONZE, Lichfield Park, Arizona

“When people hurt you over and over, think of them like sand paper. They may scratch and hurt you a bit, but in the end, you end up polished and they end up useless.”
― Chris Colfer

"I'm not afraid to be called a loser because I can accept that's what I am." One of its main characters, Finn Hudson, summed up the concept of the T.V show, Glee, perfectly with that line. It portrays a set of, shall we say, "unique" teenagers in the William McKinley High School glee club learning to be themselves. This idea is an inspiration to lonely, cool, nerdy, geeky and any and all other types of teens around the world. Glee, the Fox television show, focuses on a misfit Glee club, titled New Directions, that is full of drama and music.

To begin, Glee has a few main characters. The first New Directions members started it all; they paved a path for future members to "join the club". First, there's the "nerd" Artie, and a shy Asian girl, Tina, who is really a star waiting to shine. There's also Mercedes, the sassy diva, and the fabulously gay Kurt. Rachel is the star power in Glee Club, while her on-again-off-again boyfriend, Finn, is a cute, slightly dumb jock. After the show had moved on a bit, it was time for new characters. Sam is attractive, blonde, and not the brightest crayon in the box, while Blaine is Kurt's handsome love interest. Mike is a dancer and Tina's boyfriend material, and Puck is a bad-boy with a fake "I don't care about anything" air. The dumb female blonde, Brittany, is a popular cheerleader, and the girlfriend of the rude, b****y, cheerleader who is secretly nice, named Santana. Quinn is the head cheerleader, with drama up the wazoo! "I've cheated twice in my life. The first time, I got pregnant. The second time, I got mono. I think the universe is trying to tell me something,” she once said. Last there are the adult characters, Mr. William Schuester, Sue Sylvester, and Ms. Emma Pillsbury. "Mr. Schu", as the Glee Club calls him, is the coolest teacher/coach of glee club ever! Ms. Pillsbury is Will's fiancé, and she has severe OCD. Finally, there's Sue; a mean cheerleading coach out to get Mr. Schuester fired.

Secondly, drama is a main component of Glee. To start, the show has many love stories. There are so many combinations; it's hard to count! There was Quinn/Finn, Artie/Tina, Finn/Rachel (A.K.A Finchell), Puck/Rachel, Kurt/Blaine (A.K.A Klaine), Sam/Quinn, Tina/Mike, and Emma/Will, just to name a few. However, due to long-distance relationships, cheating, etc., only Emma and Will are together at the moment. Another main plot line is the popular kids vs. the "nerds". In season 1, Quinn, Brittany, Santana, and the rest of the cheerleaders bullied the Glee club kids like crazy! But when the cool crowd joined the Glee club, other bullies took their place. Members of the Glee Club have also been known to get "slushied". When being "slushied", a popular jock or cheerleader will throw ice-cold slushies at a glee clubber's face. These are very painful and embarrassing, but have become a way of life for these "geeks".

Finally, Glee is going in an actual "new direction" this coming season number 4. For example, there are multiple new characters. There's Marly Rose, A.K.A "The New Rachel", and Jake Puckerman, Puck's half-brother who is full of talent but with a delinquent spirit. And in the first episode, Kurt and Rachel moved to New York where they met Brody Weston and Cassandra July. Brody is the good-looking love interest that goes to NYADA (New York Academy of Dramatic Arts) with Rachel while "Cassie" July is Rachel's mean dance teacher. Also, Kitty (No last name available) is the new queen bee at William McKinley High School. Next, a few spoilers I've unearthed from gossip websites, twitter, and magazines tell me a few things: Brody and Rachel are secretly interested in each other, Klaine is on the rocks, Jake is going to have some issues adjusting to rules, and Marly Rose is the poor daughter of a lunch lady. The possibilities of the season are endless!

In conclusion, the television show, Glee, demonstrates teens, drama, music, and more! In real life, Glee takes a lot of abuse from ignorant people not unlike the bullies it portrays. Yet it's so much more than people think, because it inspires people. People who feel shy, suppressed, bullied; people who see the characters being themselves say, "I should do that!” People who need an inspiration to act- People like you and me.

I'm a huge Glee fan and I hope other fans as well as haters will enjoy my writing.

― Chris Colfer

Thanks for reading! Us Gleeks gotta stick together. : )

Synchrochci333, Collegeville, Pennsylvania

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." Harry S. Truman
Nothing is impossible. The very word says I'm Possible!" Audrey Hepburn

I loved your review of Glee. My friends introduced me to the show a few months ago, and I literally haven't stopped watching since. I love all the romance, performing, Sue's cruel, sadistic humor. The show does contain some cliches, but what show doesn't? And honestly, I feel that those corny moments, those cheesy scenes that make you laugh, make Glee that much better