Sherlock | Teen Ink

Sherlock

April 11, 2012
By howdaretheytry BRONZE, Kingston, New York
howdaretheytry BRONZE, Kingston, New York
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” – Jack Kerouac


Elementary, my dear Watson.


Everyone has their own version of Sherlock Holmes, whether it be: Arthur Conan Doyle’s book character, Basil Rathbone, or Robert Downey Jr. Each one has their own beautiful Victorian settings, oversized magnifying glasses, and an array of Watsons and funny hats but recently, a new Sherlock has been brought to life, right here in the 21st century.

The BBC’s mini-series “Sherlock” is old news to those living in the UK, but here in the US, “Sherlock” is like a well-kept secret. It’s something you might hear about from a friend and forget about entirely until you’re stuck inside on a rainy day with your Netflix account. And then… you will be hooked.
Each episode is like its own witty, action packed movie that passes by all too quickly despite its length of 90 minutes. The show takes place in the middle of modern London with Sherlock and Watson at their famous address on Baker Street. Instead of letters and telegrams, Sherlock receives text messages and e-mail just like you and me. You would think with modern technology that the original stories of Sherlock Holmes would go to waste, but each episode stays true to the original stories that made the character a household name.

Benedict Cumberbatch (Atonement) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit) create one of the most dynamic depictions of Holmes and Watson yet, with their clever banter and chemistry as they run around a picturesque London solving crimes and murder mysteries.

So go on Netflix and order season one, patiently wait for the release of season two on DVD, pace for the premiere of season three next year… it’s a show well worth your time. But shhh… it’s a secret.